Groupset vs Frame, £1000, Dale vs Spesh

BradLock
BradLock Posts: 10
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm 24, never been a bike enthusiast or an "official cyclist" so to speak... Had a handful of top-brand MTBs growing up so know my brands and a bit about specifications how group sets work etc etc.

I've fallen out of shape the past 3 years, and I'm determined to get myself back into tip top shape, cycling is about to play a huge role in my new lifestyle, recently quit smoking (3 months without 1 puff on a cig), now it's time for me to start cycling instead of car'ing it everywhere.

£1000 road bike budget, every brand up for for consideration, I've sort of narrowed it down a bit, but I'm definitely open to suggestion. Where I'm at as of now...

Cannondale Caad10 105, apparently it's got a decent alloy frame... so-so, but 105 groupset! Great, can't go wrong with that.

Specialized Roubaix SL4 double, 8r Carbon frame with that Spesh compact geom for nice comfort - this appeals to me massively, but the sora groupset is a trade off, I'd love a 105 groupset.

I will be using my bike for commuting to work, random trips I where I would usually drive, and weekend rides...

Sure as I type this, I'm a beginner but soon I won't be a beginner, my bike is going to be my go-to mode of transport and it's going to make me fit... My point is that I do not want to - want to - upgrade my bike once I'm "into cycling", I'm skipping the 400-500 entry level and purchasing my upgrade bike upfront... £1000 is the magic number.

I'm really going to appreciate any suggestions and advise on this, I'm interested in getting the biggest bang for buck from decent brands.. Cube, BMC, giant, trek, cannondale, specialized.. And the others

I'd like to hear your opinions on frame vs groupset, and what bike you would recommend at my price range.

thanks, looking forward to hearing from those who know better!

Comments

• http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/supersix-evo-105-2015-road-bike-ec116408#features

How's this then....

Upgrade over the CAAD 10 being a SuperSix and the magical 105.
  • Caad 10 in a heartbeat. You can still get a Supersix Evo with 105 from Pauls cycles for £999.99 if you are drawn towards something carbon.

As above. The Evans version has Tektro brakes rather than 105. Also has a compact chainset. The pauls Evo 105 has 105 brakes and a 52/36 chainset.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b65s6p57 ... O-105-2015
  • ^^ +1 ^^

Good call, Ger.
    That's a better deal with Paul's and a better choice of sizes. Good colour scheme too.
  • my advice would be to go and ride a few to see what fits and what feels good, then look for bikes with similar geometry to see what you like the best. The Specialized Roubaix is probably closer to the Cannondale Synapse in regards to its geometry than the CAAD 10 so youre not really comparing similar bikes. You can get last years Spec Tarmac sport for under £1000 now with 105 - this would probably be closer to the CAAD (although i haven`t had a close look at the geometry charts). All of these are good bikes from well regarded brands and there are plenty of reviews on the web but I have always found that even a short ride can be educational.
  • +1 on the Cannondale, be it Caad10 or Super6, you can't go wrong with either!

Oh, and well done on quitting smoking, speaking as an ex-smoker (15 years off) :-) The money you save on fags will buy you lots of bikes that's for sure :-)

Cheers
  • Germcevoy wrote:
    Caad 10 in a heartbeat. You can still get a Supersix Evo with 105 from Pauls cycles for £999.99 if you are drawn towards something carbon.

As above. The Evans version has Tektro brakes rather than 105. Also has a compact chainset. The pauls Evo 105 has 105 brakes and a 52/36 chainset.

Nice, I was put off by Evans with the tekro brakes if I'm getting a 105 spec I want 105 brakes and you found it at Paul's, definitely definitely something to think about... But cannondale carbon frame 105 groupset... £1000.. What's the catch? Because if there isn't one... I've just found my bike.
  • BradLock wrote:
    Germcevoy wrote:
    Caad 10 in a heartbeat. You can still get a Supersix Evo with 105 from Pauls cycles for £999.99 if you are drawn towards something carbon.

Nice, I was put off by Evans with the tekro brakes if I'm getting a 105 spec I want 105 brakes and you found it at Paul's, definitely definitely something to think about... But cannondale carbon frame 105 groupset... £1000.. What's the catch? Because if there isn't one... I've just found my bike.

I've bought it myself. No catch. Just last years stock at a discount. If you get really hooked on cycling you may eventually want to change the wheels and tyres but it is a stonking bike out of the box. I just wish I was fast enough to give it a run for its money.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    BradLock wrote:
    Cannondale Caad10 105, apparently it's got a decent alloy frame... so-so,

Do a bit more Googling around Caad10... Carbon isn't automatically an upgrade, the Caad is a better ride than more than just a few entry level carbon offerings.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    For £1000, bikes are very similar.

The best thing is to try a load for fit. As for carbon vs alloy, you say you'll be commuting on it? If you mean all weathers, locked up outside type of commuting, I'll be tempted to go alloy. I have an older CAAD 8 for winter riding and it's a great frame. Saying that, the best bike is carbon.
  • Get a red one, it'll be faster.
    Advocate of disc brakes.