All round tyre suggestions

Chris71127
Chris71127 Posts: 71
edited February 2016 in MTB buying advice
Just treated myself to my first full sus mountain bike :lol:
But found the stock tyres probably better suited to dry hard packed trails (WTB trail on the front and WTB riddler on the rear).

While it rolls nicely I found grip an issue especially on the rear.

Living in Suffolk there isn't many rocky trails more mud ,exposed roots and fire track .They don't need to be insanely tough either so suggestions for a good combo would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking of moving the WTB trail to the rear and putting a better mug tyre up front.....?

Comments

• loudog
    loudog Posts: 136
    how about uuuummmmmm, and Ardent race at the rear and a magic mary up front?
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A Mary for his use is crazy.....heavy and draggy, it's meant for Enduro use.

Maxxis Beaver is a great winter tyre for that kind of use.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ArnieB
    ArnieB Posts: 16
    Chris

I tend to ride Schwalbe tyres (the snakeskin versions offer decent puncture resistance).

In summer I usually ride with racing ralphs both front and back. In winter I tend to put a nobby nic up front. Other people in my area who use Schwalbe seem to use a similar set up, though some may use nobby nics on both wheels in winter.

My riding is a mixture of canal towpaths, tarmac, stony trails and dirt trails (That are muddy in winter).

Basically all tyres are a trade off between grip and rolling resistance. My experience is that if you do a reasonable amount of riding on decent surfaces then a full on mud tyre is an nightmare to ride. I once put on a magic mary and it nearly killed me. Superb on the muddy downhill sections but terrible on roads/fire tracks.

cheers

Arnie
  • I've found Land Cruisers have a good compromise between speed on the road and grip off-road.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I've found Land Cruisers have a good compromise between speed on the road and grip off-road.

Id never put land cruisers on for off road especially not a FS either!

Ardents are good front an back, Marys as said would be way way to heavy, an as im finding out nobby nics dont last long. Also not hugely impressed with its mud chugging abilities.

Your best bet is two sets one summer one winter Medusa like rookie said is brilliant cuts in an gets on with it, winter you want wider lug gaps to help shed mud an crap an also not too wide so the tyre can bite into the firmer stuff in the mud. Summer you can probably use the WTB trails to be honest. big nobblies can look cool but are not always what youll need.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I strongly recommend round tyres, preferably the black rubbery type.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • WTB Trail Boss
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited February 2016
    Somebody asked the same question in a letter to this month's WMB.
    They recommended the Specialized Butcher Grid.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • I'v just put on a set of medusa on great in the mud but terrible on hard surface so they will be coming back off I'm thinking about trying maxxis high roller 11 or continental x-king pro, are any more suggestions
  • Thanks for all your replies, new to the forum and really enjoying it.

If I move the trail boss to the back would a hans Damf be a good choice for the front?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Still very draggy for your usage, the Nic would be the one from the Schwalbe stable for your use, Evo compound though, the performance ones are pants.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I live in Brandon and am always in or around the forest. Up front, Ardent, High Roller, Nobby Nic. In the back I've used Michelin Wild Grip R and found the latter to be good - although relatively unsung. Using on both 29 and 26 inch.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • JBA wrote:
    Somebody asked the same question in a letter to this month's WMB.
    They recommended the Specialized Butcher Grid.

Great tyre, my only issue with is its a little small.. I wish they did a larger volume version of it..
  • Chris71127 wrote:
    Thanks for all your replies, new to the forum and really enjoying it.

If I move the trail boss to the back would a hans Damf be a good choice for the front?

Put the TB on the back and a WTB Vigilante on the front, or Vigilantes both ends if the trails really are cut up.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Decided to stick a vigilante on the front and move the trail boss to the rear. Hopefully this will work and saves having to buy two new tyres.

Thanks for all the suggestions