Kinesis Racelight Disc rear spacing issue

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
edited February 2016 in Workshop
Just built up one of the new disc compatible 4S frames - not with disks at this stage.

The frame comes with two bolt-on spacers for the rear dropouts to allow conversion from 135 to 130mm spacing and visa versa. I'm using it in 130mm mode obviously, i.e. with the spacers.

Problem I'm having is that I can't adjust the rear dérailleur (Chorus 11sp) to shift onto the largest sprocket, because the combination of the thick aluminium dropout, 135=>130mm spacer and chunky derailleur hanger brings the derailleur out of range, even at its widest internal setting.

My frame didn't come with any documentation.

I'm wondering if I need some sort of spacer underneath the cassette... And if so, how do I then retain compatibility of the wheel with my other normal 130mm frames (and their dérailleur adjustments)? I'll be a bit miffed if this isn't truly 130mm compatible!

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd get in touch with Kinesis. They should know how these things are meant to work. Sounds to me like it needs a modified mech hanger. You don't want a bodge involving spacing out the cassette; as you say that would make the wheel incompatible with a conventionally spaced frame...
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    I don't know what the spacers are like, but is there any way the spacer can go on the non-drive side to move the wheel closer to the mech hanger? I'd imagine that would solve the problem?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm guessing there's a spacer each side to keep the wheel central, no? Still think it sounds like it needs a different mech hanger.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Yes, there's a spacer either side and they are individually shaped for each dropout.

A different mech hanger is exactly what I was thinking might be the only obvious way to solve the problem. Unfortunately an email to Kinesis right now gets an automatic reply from Bruce Dalton, who is on annual leave until 25th Feb. There's a phone number "if an urgent response is required", but I'm loathe to bug a man when he's on holiday.. :)

I wonder if the problem is specific to the combination of running Campagnolo with the 130mm non-disc setup on this frame. Maybe Shimano & SRAM rear dérailleurs have a slightly wider range?

Was even wondering if the mech hanger could be slightly bent outwards - it doesn't really look like it is though.

I guess I can survive without using the 27 sprocket until a solution from Kinesis is forthcoming. I'll post an update in due course!