Tents, stoves and cooking utensils.

MiniMalts
MiniMalts Posts: 266
edited February 2016 in Tour & expedition
Looking for recommendations for things I need to take with me when wild camping. Ideally lightweight items preferred.

Comments

• Will have a look there tomorrow but in the meantime if anyone has any suggestions of what they carry on their bikes then that would be great. :)
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    oxoman wrote:
    Look at the LTFO forum, it's ideal for the info you want. LTFO means live for the outdoors.
    Shouldn't that be LFTO?
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Check out the Terra Nova Superlite Voyager.

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/superlite-voyager-tent/

I use one in the Scottish hills, along with other items from their range. It has stood up to a Cairngorms blizzard, so should be fine for a bit of bikepacking.

Also have a look at Ultralight Outdoor Gear for sleeping solutions, cooking utensils etc.

The Exped sleeping mat, I use also... can't fault it. Superlight too.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/sleeping-mats-c58/ultralight-airbeds-c138/synmat-7-ultralight-airbed-m-regular-p1834
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    As ever with camping, the easiest way to reduce the weight of your kit is to work out what not to take. As I am sure you are finding out, super light is, generally, super expensive! So not having something is also good for the wallet!

Tent - how many people?

Sleeping system - when and where are you looking at camping? If in winter in Northern Europe, then clearly the needs are different to summer in Southern Europe.

Cooking stuff - really easy to end up with a lot of weight here. Are you looking to create gourmet camp food (totally possible) or just heat a small pan of hot water for rehydrating dried food or a cup of coffee? Many parts of the world, we completely ditch cooking gear, though I am considering a small Meths stove for coffee.

You need to expand a little on when and where you are looking at going before any real meaningful suggestions can be given.

If you are solo or with other like minded people, you can look at going ultra light with a bivi bag and a tarp. There are tents that can compete on the weight of a bivi and tarp, but you are looking at proper megabucks and they are often getting to the point of being quite fragile.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    - Pot
    - something to heat the pot
    - something to stir the pot
    - something to clean the pot
    - windshield if you don't have one

Titanium pots are nice and light, but you may find that it's easier to burn the food if you don't pay attention.

Pots with heat exchangers are heavier but the greater fuel efficiency may save weight overall

You might want to check out pot cozies as a way of cooking things like rice.

Main things to think about:

- gas is convenient but you may find it tricky to get cartridges abroad
    - meths is readily available but marginally less convenient and less efficient
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    The really lightweight stuff is very expensive but worth it if you do a lot of cycle camping and want to be self- sufficient in remote areas. Over the last 30 years I've refined what I take to the following:

My tent is a Terra Nova Solar 2 Competition. At 1.1kg it is really light and compact, fitting easily in a pannier. It pitches very quickly, is roomy for one person and will stand up to high winds if pitched tail into the breeze. It's roomier and much less flappy in wind than Terra Nova's similarly lightweight Lazer.

For cooking I use a Primus Express Duo stove. This is tiny, very light and will work with most gas cylinders on the market - not the pierceable sort. For example, it fits the screw-on Coleman etc type commonly sold in British camping and outdoor shops and also fits the Camping Gaz CV screw-on cylinders sold in French supermarkets and DIY stores. I use a Primus windshield designed to fit it. All this fits inside an Alpkit titanium pot with frying pan lid. Titanium cookware does stick more than alloy so you have to modify your cooking style accordingly. I use Alpkit titanium knife, fork and spoon which clip together.

For sleeping I use an Exped Synmat 7 UL inflatable mattress with an Exped combined pillow/inflator pump and a lightweight warm Alpkit Pipedream down sleeping bag. I also use a Thermarest chairkit which fits into a pannier and converts my sleeping mattress into a comfortable chair for the evenings while I read my Kindle with the aid of a head torch.
  • MiniMalts
    edited February 2016
    Plenty of things there to research.

Tent: 1 person but being 6' 3" and built like the back end of a truck a 2 person would probably be better for that bit extra room.

Where: First trip will be in Scotland on the west coast but the tent may end up being used all over Europe.

Cooking utensils: Something I can fry some steak and boil some rice in. Hot water for a coffee would be great also. I already have some Lifeventure titanium cutlery, somewhere. :)

Stove: I'm not keen on the gas route but I did see a YouTube video where a guy was using essentially a metal frame with which he lit a fuel tablet in it and his pan sat above it. The fuel tablet looked kind of like one of those tablets you put in a washing machine. Has anyone any experience of these?

Vivvi bag and tarp: Not keen on this, would rather have the added layer of a tent between me and elements. However, something like this seems ideal as I can get a small airbed and a sleeping bag in there too. Just how waterproof is it?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    MiniMalts wrote:
    Stove: I'm not keen on the gas route but I did see a YouTube video where a guy was using essential a metal frame with which he lit a fuel tablet in it and his pan sat above it. The fuel tablet looked kind of like one of those tablets you put in a washing machine. Has anyone any experience of these?

not one of the old Hexamine Solid Fuel Stove?

god they bring back nightmares. also a poor option.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Esbit tablets.

I believe for the hardcore lightweight enthusiast only! Pretty slow and need really good windshielding.

MiniMalts wrote:
    Vivvi bag and tarp: Not keen on this, would rather have the added layer of a tent between me and elements. However, something like this seems ideal as I can get a small airbed and a sleeping bag in there too. Just how waterproof is it?

That's fine - as I said, ultralight! Not my cup of tea either (though I have a light 2500km tour coming up where I will carry a bivy bag as an option for a few hours kip if I can't find a hotel, no tarp, so will look for natural/manmade shelter (bus stops, church porches etc.)). As ever the challenge with bivy bags is only partly the water from the sky. Unless the bag is very breathable (i.e. expensive!), then condensation from the inside is also a challenge. Been 25 years since I've bivied a lot, so this will be an experiment as I look towards some longer stuff in the future.
  • MiniMalts
    edited February 2016
    nicklouse wrote:
    MiniMalts wrote:
    Stove: I'm not keen on the gas route but I did see a YouTube video where a guy was using essential a metal frame with which he lit a fuel tablet in it and his pan sat above it. The fuel tablet looked kind of like one of those tablets you put in a washing machine. Has anyone any experience of these?

not one of the old Hexamine Solid Fuel Stove?

god they bring back nightmares. also a poor option.

Hexamine rings a bell from the video. An option to avoid then?
  • marcusjb wrote:
    Esbit tablets.

I believe for the hardcore lightweight enthusiast only! Pretty slow and need really good windshielding.

MiniMalts wrote:

That's fine - as I said, ultralight! Not my cup of tea either (though I have a light 2500km tour coming up where I will carry a bivy bag as an option for a few hours kip if I can't find a hotel, no tarp, so will look for natural/manmade shelter (bus stops, church porches etc.)). As ever the challenge with bivy bags is only partly the water from the sky. Unless the bag is very breathable (i.e. expensive!), then condensation from the inside is also a challenge. Been 25 years since I've bivied a lot, so this will be an experiment as I look towards some longer stuff in the future.

Oops, I meant to include a link to this http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... bivi-p1764
  • mercia_man
    MiniMalts wrote:
    marcusjb wrote:
    Esbit tablets.

MiniMalts wrote:

Oops, I meant to include a link to this http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... bivi-p1764

At 1.03 kg that Ridge Raider bivi is a similar weight to Terra Nova's lightweight tents which give you room to sit up in, a bell end for storage and cooking and much better living accommodation and protection. As a cheaper alternative to Terra Nova tents, their Wild Country range tents, made out of less hi-tech fabrics to similar designs, are only a few grams heavier. Vango and MSR also do good value lightweight tents suitable for cycle camping.

For camping in the UK and northern Europe, I would avoid tents with a flysheet and full mesh inner which are not really suited to wet and windy weather.
  • I can't really comment on tents as I don't really do cycle camping (yet), but I do do motorcycle camping. It allows a little more weight to be carried and therefore a larger tent. Plus I'm 6'4" and the other end of the truck!

However, the cooking utensils still apply (size more than weight, ability to fire it up anywhere using pretty much any fuel)

Do you want tech or do you want basic?

I have an Optimus Nova stove which will burn just about any fuel (including diesel). The biggest bit is the fuel bottle as the stove is tiny. Then you need pots and pans. I also have 2 Swedish Army Mess Kits (check them out on ebay or military surplus stores). Burner is basically a Trangia and everything, including a fuel bottle and a mug, fits in the two pans. Fine for rice/water/stews etc. All you would need would be a small frying pan for the steak.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    For cooking for two people I use one 1 litre pot, one 0.75 litre pot, a lid and a handle. All aluminium, cheap, light and transfer heat a lot better than titanium. A camping GAZ stove (with detachable cylinder) is pretty simple and widely available. I'm going to Vienna in the summer and have already found a shop where I can pick one up.
    With this I can do; Hugh F-W's chickpea curry, hot wraps filled with rice and veg, Spanish omelettes and the usuals like pasta and sauce.

For a wind shield you can make one from Al foil wrapped around a piece of cardboard.

If you are going somewhere that allows open fires carrying the wire rack from a portable BBQ is good for BBQing over embers.

If you just want a brew you can use a beer can stove.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui8t3pivqtk

Tents: I would suggest a two man tent as I think you would find a single person one a bit of a squeeze.
    Beware of going too light. I have a Terra Nova Voyager that's a few year old. The floor of the lighter version is quite thin. Terra Nova suggest that you use a 'foot-print', basically a sheet to go under the floor to protect it. This means you pay more for a lighter tent. Then pay extra for the footprint which takes the weight back up to that of the normal version.
  • Mavisto wrote:
    I can't really comment on tents as I don't really do cycle camping (yet), but I do do motorcycle camping. It allows a little more weight to be carried and therefore a larger tent. Plus I'm 6'4" and the other end of the truck!

However, the cooking utensils still apply (size more than weight, ability to fire it up anywhere using pretty much any fuel)

Do you want tech or do you want basic?

I have an Optimus Nova stove which will burn just about any fuel (including diesel). The biggest bit is the fuel bottle as the stove is tiny. Then you need pots and pans. I also have 2 Swedish Army Mess Kits (check them out on ebay or military surplus stores). Burner is basically a Trangia and everything, including a fuel bottle and a mug, fits in the two pans. Fine for rice/water/stews etc. All you would need would be a small frying pan for the steak.

inc waste engine oil? I worked on a farm and the local agri mechanic had a boiler to heat the workshop and that thing did burn ANYTHING.

I like the Optimus Nova but I was considering two stoves. Basically so that I can cook my steak and rice/pasta at the same time so unless there is a kit to run two burners from one fuel bottle? or something else similar? then it's going to get expensive and heavy.
  • whoof wrote:

Tents: I would suggest a two man tent as I think you would find a single person one a bit of a squeeze.
    Beware of going too light. I have a Terra Nova Voyager that's a few year old. The floor of the lighter version is quite thin. Terra Nova suggest that you use a 'foot-print', basically a sheet to go under the floor to protect it. This means you pay more for a lighter tent. Then pay extra for the footprint which takes the weight back up to that of the normal version.

I'm torn between the Rab Ridge Raider and this http://www.uttings.co.uk/p120010-wild-c ... sSuMsfPxE4

Would this require a 'foot-print'?
  • mercia_man
    That Wild Country Zephyros is a much better option than the Rab Ridge Raider, I reckon. At 1.7kg, it's a heavier and more robust version of the Terra Nova Lazer - and good value for money. You may not need a footprint to protect the groundsheet. It all depends on how thick the groundsheet is. If you feel the groundsheet needs a bit of extra protection ( for example, if you are camping on stony ground in southern Europe) you can always do what I do - I cut my own groundsheet protectors to shape out of a couple of plastic dog food or fertilizer bags, using gaffer tape to join the two pieces together.

By the way, don't dismiss gas stoves. Those small cartridges last me around 10 days cooking every night and are widely available. They are very efficient at boiling water and are safer and less fiddly than pressurised fuel ones and you don't have to carry smelly fuel around with you. I've witnessed the tent next to me burn down when a pressure stove misfunctioned. The two chaps inside managed to leap through the flames out of the bell end unscathed. Camping Gaz, either the screw-on CV type or the pierced type, are the best bet in Europe.
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    The Zephyros would be the better tent.

It wouldn't require a footprint. Side entry makes it easy to get in and out of, but limits your cooking space a wee bit.

Pitch it into wind and it'll be fine and stable.
  • Mercia Man wrote:
    That Wild Country Zephyros is a much better option than the Rab Ridge Raider, I reckon. At 1.7kg, it's a heavier and more robust version of the Terra Nova Lazer - and good value for money. You may not need a footprint to protect the groundsheet. It all depends on how thick the groundsheet is. If you feel the groundsheet needs a bit of extra protection ( for example, if you are camping on stony ground in southern Europe) you can always do what I do - I cut my own groundsheet protectors to shape out of a couple of plastic dog food or fertilizer bags, using gaffer tape to join the two pieces together.

By the way, don't dismiss gas stoves. Those small cartridges last me around 10 days cooking every night and are widely available. They are very efficient at boiling water and are safer and less fiddly than pressurised fuel ones and you don't have to carry smelly fuel around with you. I've witnessed the tent next to me burn down when a pressure stove misfunctioned. The two chaps inside managed to leap through the flames out of the bell end unscathed. Camping Gaz, either the screw-on CV type or the pierced type, are the best bet in Europe.

Think I'm going for the tent.

Just ordered two of these http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/11438 ... stove.html

along with one of these http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/12501 ... d-zip.html

and got 15% off for being a *cough* new *cough* customer (discount code NEW15)
  • mercia_man
    That stove is a good choice. I used to have that type until I went ultra lightweight (and ultra expensive!). Those stoves with a separate tube are very stable because the burner is close to the ground. They use the screw-on Coleman/Primus type cartridges. They will also fit the long and thin blowtorch cartridges sold at DIY shops if you are in a fix. However, you need to wedge those long blowtorch cartridges upright to avoid flare-ups. One thing to remember - you can't get the Cileman/Primus type cartridges abroad. So you need to take enough gas to last the holiday. Alternatively, you can buy the blowtorch cartridges at European DIY stores.
  • Mercia Man wrote:
    That stove is a good choice. I used to have that type until I went ultra lightweight (and ultra expensive!). Those stoves with a separate tube are very stable because the burner is close to the ground. They use the screw-on Coleman/Primus type cartridges. They will also fit the long and thin blowtorch cartridges sold at DIY shops if you are in a fix. However, you need to wedge those long blowtorch cartridges upright to avoid flare-ups. One thing to remember - you can't get the Cileman/Primus type cartridges abroad. So you need to take enough gas to last the holiday. Alternatively, you can buy the blowtorch cartridges at European DIY stores.

So what stove do you have?

Someone needs to make a converter/adaptor to fit the gas canisters available on the continent. ;)
  • Now all I need is the tent, sleeping mat and a cook set. I only need a frying pan, pot for rice/pasta and a kettle. Any suggestions? I was thinking this, but it's 4 person so is rather large.

http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/1336 ... okset.html

Or this

https://www.alpkit.com/products/haap
  • mercia_man
    As I said earlier, I have a minimalist Primus Express Duo stove.https://www.tauntonleisure.com/primus-e ... -duo/p6901

Primus also do a larger Mimer Duo. The Duo attachment system is simple but clever. It means you can fit the stove to the British type screw-on cartridges and also to the Camping Gaz CV cartridges. So I can use this stove without problems both in the UK and Europe as it uses both types of screw-on cartridge.

Camping Gaz do nice lightweight stoves which fit their CV cartridges which are widely available in the UK and Europe.http://www.outbacktrading.co.uk/product ... GwodmKQMVA

I've never needed a kettle. I use the Alpkit titanium billy with frying pan/lid depicted on your link above. You can get cheaper and perfectly good alloy billy and frying pan/lid sets at most outdoor suppliers.

Cooking on just one burner is easy once you have had practice. For example, a typical meal for me is to make a spicy vegetable ratatouille type sauce in the frying pan, cover it to keep it warm and then boil up some cous cous, pasta, rice or potatoes. Reheat the sauce once the pasta etc is ready.
  • Mercia Man wrote:
    As I said earlier, I have a minimalist Primus Express Duo stove.https://www.tauntonleisure.com/primus-e ... -duo/p6901

Primus also do a larger Mimer Duo. The Duo attachment system is simple but clever. It means you can fit the stove to the British type screw-on cartridges and also to the Camping Gaz CV cartridges. So I can use this stove without problems both in the UK and Europe as it uses both types of screw-on cartridge.

Camping Gaz do nice lightweight stoves which fit their CV cartridges which are widely available in the UK and Europe.http://www.outbacktrading.co.uk/product ... GwodmKQMVA

I've never needed a kettle. I use the Alpkit titanium billy with frying pan/lid depicted on your link above. You can get cheaper and perfectly good alloy billy and frying pan/lid sets at most outdoor suppliers.

Cooking on just one burner is easy once you have had practice. For example, a typical meal for me is to make a spicy vegetable ratatouille type sauce in the frying pan, cover it to keep it warm and then boil up some cous cous, pasta, rice or potatoes. Reheat the sauce once the pasta etc is ready.

Oh, so you did, sorry.

Yeah, did just think of using the pan/pot to boil water in after boiling the rice/tatties/pasta/whatever.

Mmmm, my mouth is watering. :P

Tent ordered.

Just need a sleeping mat and cook set now. :) Will probably go with the one at Millets unless I can find something more suitable when I have a proper look around the shops tomorrow. :)
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    The link that you provided to the tent says

'Groundsheet protectors to prolong the life of the tent and help keep it clean can be purchased separately.'