SM-BB70 alternatives?

philcubed
philcubed Posts: 260
edited February 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I need a new SM-BB70 bottom bracket from Chain Reaction (have vouchers to spend), but they are out of stock. Are any others compatible. I would prefer same or better quality but not crazy money!
Link to SM-BB70 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod41445
Possible alternative? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod38345 description says 'length of screw thread is increased to enable fitment of chain devices' which I don't have, will this make it too wide?
Any others?
Cheers

Comments

• Get the XTR instead
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Get the XTR instead

I agree, they last forever.
  • Thanks. Ordered, so should be able to fit on Saturday and ride on Sunday without last weeks ominous clanking sounds!
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Get the XTR instead

Interesting as I've recently changed an xt bb70 that's only had about 6-9mth use on it and the drive side bearings were shot, seal had failed and you could see the grease was like a rusty colour.

I don't use a pressure washer to clean bike just gentle hose pipe pressure.

Are the xtr bearings double sealed or something, had thought of buying a bb that uses sealed press in bearings like hope or uberbike.

Anyone compared the new xt bb m8000 ones to the old bb70?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    swod1 wrote:
    Get the XTR instead

Interesting as I've recently changed an xt bb70 that's only had about 6-9mth use on it and the drive side bearings were shot, seal had failed and you could see the grease was like a rusty colour.

I don't use a pressure washer to clean bike just gentle hose pipe pressure.

Are the xtr bearings double sealed or something, had thought of buying a bb that uses sealed press in bearings like hope or uberbike.

Anyone compared the new xt bb m8000 ones to the old bb70?
    you can get new bearings pressed into the Shimano cups.

The seal on the XTR is better than the XT.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • My bb70's have lasted pretty much 1 year each, including the one that came with the bike, the bike shop fitted one, and the 2 I fitted myself. Hopefully the xtr will last a couple of years or more.
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    you can get new bearings pressed into the Shimano cups.

The seal on the XTR is better than the XT.

I've fitted an new bb70 that I had in my spares box so should be ok for a while but will buy an xtr version next time.
  • The Rookie
    Or just get better bearings pressed into the cups you just removed?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    Or just get better bearings pressed into the cups you just removed?

I didn't know you could do this, any links to some bearings and what I would need to fit them?
  • The Rookie
    Not done it myself yet, but know it can be done, there used to be a listing on ebay offering a supply and fit service as well.