Newbie - stupid question ...

ianj37
ianj37 Posts: 6
edited February 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, Just got my first MTB and my first bike with hydraulic disc brakes (Fuji Nevada 1.1.) back from the shop.

My stupid question is this - to get the bike into my car and home I had to take the front wheel, fitted with QR, off and try as I might I can't get it back in a position where when I spin the wheel there isn't the feint, but constant, sound of the disc rubbing on the brake pads. The wheel seems to be running true and free so is the noise a problem? The bike has done zero miles but was setup by Evans. Sorry but I'm a worrier!!

Thanks

Ian

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not a problem it will shut up as you use it and the pads bed in. it is likely to happen every time you remove and replace a wheel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Just be careful not to pull the brake lever when the wheel is out as the pads will close together and you'll have to prise them apart! I learnt the hard way! Use a spacer if you regularly carry it in your car.
  • Thanks for the reassurance that I've not messed anything up and also for the timely advice on not jamming the brake pads - it was only a matter of time before I pressed the brake lever getting the bike out of the car!! After a bit of searching I've found and ordered a Shimano pad spacer for my brakes, so that's one problem sorted.

I'm very grateful to you all for you taking the time to reply.

Ian