Is this bike alright

2»

Comments

• I wouldn't recommend deliberately buying a rubbish bike to make it harder - it doesn't make as much of a difference as you might think. Much better to buy a bike you enjoy riding that will motivate you to cycle more. Riding fixed up hills is fun and challenging, actually - and you can get a pretty decent cheap fixed bike (or build one) for that kind of money.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    gav1983 wrote:
    Nowt wrong with that viking bike. The purpose of the bike is cardio, if i wanted it to be easy id get a carbon bike with 24gears, i was even contemplating a fixie for the hills

the bike doesn't determine how easy or hard your cycling is, you'll just go slower on this!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Exactly - the dude wants a cheap, reliable, practical machine that will do anything - he doesn't want to hang out with clubbies and do chain gangs and "fast group" rides and 10, 20s and wear matching non team Lycra: and look down at people who won't join their club: a tad of cardio around normal roads not tracking down hills to do Strava and all that jazz.

OP: the bike is a tad of a shed but it's better than nowt. Better available, worse available. The gearing is fine so long as. You don't go hill seeking: for normal roads not a problem at all.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Herzog wrote:
    gav1983 wrote:
    If i wanted an easy cycle id get a 6kg carbon bike, but being nearly 18st i doubt it would last, so it would be a grand down the pan.

Got a link for 1k 6kg carbon bike?

Planet X carbon job In the sales then fit some Carbonzone wheels and saddle: probably nearly there without trying too hard.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Thanks for all the advice, i didnt go for the viking... phewww, after what everyone said it did deter me, and thanks to the person that pointed me in the direction of this its appreciated http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 875604.htm
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    gav1983 wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice, i didnt go for the viking... phewww, after what everyone said it did deter me, and thanks to the person that pointed me in the direction of this its appreciated http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 875604.htm

A much more rounded choice I think and hopefully you'll appreciate the benefits of drop bars over flat bars once you start using them.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    gav1983 wrote:
    Nowt wrong with that viking bike.
    So why did you start the thread?

(edit - duh - didn't see the second page!)
    gav1983 wrote:
    The purpose of the bike is cardio, if i wanted it to be easy id get a carbon bike with 24gears, i was even contemplating a fixie for the hills

How about this one?

Frank-Bartels-Appelhans.jpg
  • Haha id give that a bash