Thinking about heading outside to ride my bike

DavidJB
DavidJB Posts: 2,019
edited February 2016 in Road general
Hi,

I know it's a rare phenomenon but I might actually ride my bike outside. Are real world cyclists big meanies or do they let you wheel suck like Zwift. I've heard Strava can be used outside with segments like in Zwift how does this work?

I'm afraid that I won't look as good as my Zwift avatar on the bike...do you have any advice? I've been trying to make myself more pixelated but can't find the anti-aliasing settings in the real world!?

I'm worried about the weather as the sun always shines in Zwiftopia. People also tell me how strong I am even though I weigh 120KG and get all the KOM's in Zwiftopia because I entered my weight as 65KG, but after all Zwift is real racing so I might hit up a 4th cat race and show them how it's done.

Regards

Digital Dave

Comments

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I shouldn't bother, the graphics are terrible.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I would simply change your sex on Strava as it is much easier getting on leaderboards as a QOM than a KOM. Buying a women's specific design bike to go with it is a bit pricier but this is only optional at the pre-op stage, apparently.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    An old saying goes "There is no thinking, there is only do - don't do."
  • I subscribe to Strava 'Premium' Zwift, Trainerroad & I have all the Sufferfest videos.

Hoping to buy a bike one day.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    I subscribe to Strava 'Premium' Zwift, Trainerroad & I have all the Sufferfest videos.

Hoping to buy a bike one day.

:D:D:D
    Funniest post of the week for me
  • One hour on zwift is worth 12 hours on the road, you'll smash it.

Just remember to slow down - zwift automatically adjusts your speed to make it look like you're going slower, in the real world you'll scare the cars and other, fake cyclists
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801
    Bear in mind that you will have to wear a helmet.
    That will result in slower speeds on the road.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Ps and don't clog up people's strava feed with all this 'real ride' bs - make it private!!!
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    http://www.twitch.tv/nathanguerra/v/44090913

LOOOOOL!

Who knew it was so popular.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • I do find the graphics outside are nowhere near as good as Zwift :(. Good choice of courses mind.

I've done 25 rides on Zwift since my last ride outside which was at the start of December!