Garmin Edge 1000 questions....

poucher
poucher Posts: 102
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about pushing the button on a Garmin Edge 1000 performance bundle and I've got a couple of questions for any of you that already have one, mostly regarding the map creation options.

I currently use a Garmin Zumo 660 on my motorbike and I'm ok using the Mapsource software to create routes, can I use this same software to create routes for the Edge 1000?

Will the Mapsource talk to / transfer to the Edge 1000 ok?

Or would it be easier to use "Mapmyride" or "Bikehike" to create and transfer routes with?

Anyone had any problems with their edge 1000? if they are constantly hanging or requiring software updates that would frustrate the life out of me and I'd want to chuck it out the window! :evil:

All comments gratefully accepted

Comments

• izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Had two 1000's. The reliability has been good with one hanging incident.

Only niggle has been the wearing of the backplate. Have had to use gaffer tape to keep the unit tight in its mount.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    its slightly too heavy for the mounting system, and it hangs a fair bit when its getting older. I know of 2 people that have had the snapped wing syndrome.
  • Can't comment on the Edge 1000, but I'd say ridewithgps.com is the best site for plotting bike routes for use with a Garmin.

Turn-by-turn routing works every time and the elevation profiles for a plotted course are usually very consistent if slightly (~10%) overestimated.
  • I bought a 1000 performance bundle just after Christmas.

I've used it for just over 1000 miles of riding with no issues.

I lover the all the data and mapping/guidance is great.

I reasonable investment, but well worth it!