Best Jacket <£70

germcevoy
germcevoy Posts: 414
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
After Tredz failed me on a bargain Gabba 2 I have extended the search for a decent winter/spring garment. Any recommendations for a windproof/showerproof jersey or jacket? I have a decent dhb roubaix but find it way too warm for anything higher than moderate pace rides.

Windproofing valued over waterproofing but wand a good tight fit.

Comments

• bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    The Sportful Fiandre Light No Rain is quite superb. You can wear it over the top of a normal jersey as its so thin - magically keeps the wind and rain out and somehow keeps your temperature regulated very well - and breathable!
    Also packs up quite small and will fi in a jersey pocket if conditions really change. Overall, probably the best piece of cycle clothing I've ever bought.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    bsharp77 wrote:
    The Sportful Fiandre Light No Rain is quite superb. You can wear it over the top of a normal jersey as its so thin - magically keeps the wind and rain out and somehow keeps your temperature regulated very well - and breathable!
    Also packs up quite small and will fi in a jersey pocket if conditions really change. Overall, probably the best piece of cycle clothing I've ever bought.
    ^This.
    Wore mine yesterday (windy & cold!) with a long sleeve base layer and thermal jersey underneath. Very comfortable indeed, and highly breathable. Not sure how it'd fair in prolonged rain but has been terrific keeping the water out when caught in a shower. A favourite in my wardrobe.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I know your budget is 70 but I can't stress how amazing the castelli alpha is, available for around £110, maybe less if you have voucher codes, etc. Well worth a few days of beans on toast and packed lunches!

(edit: Failing that keep an eye on ebay - picked up a rapha PT jacket for £83 delivered in as new condition)
  • bsharp77 wrote:

Cheers for the recommendation. Reviews seemnto suggest it is quite thin. What kind of temperatures is it suitable down to?
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Germcevoy wrote:
    After Tredz failed me on a bargain Gabba 2 I have extended the search for a decent winter/spring garment. Any recommendations for a windproof/showerproof jersey or jacket? I have a decent dhb roubaix but find it way too warm for anything higher than moderate pace rides.

Windproofing valued over waterproofing but wand a good tight fit.

Castelli Velo windproof. About £50. Breathes well... better than other wind shells I've had. It's polyester instead of nylon, which I think may be the thing.

Whip it off and put it in your pocket when you get too hot. Does well in a shower. Downside, flaps a little depending on size, but overall well cut.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Germcevoy wrote:
    bsharp77 wrote:

Cheers for the recommendation. Reviews seemnto suggest it is quite thin. What kind of temperatures is it suitable down to?

It's very thin. I wore mine down to 3 degrees yesterday but the windchill brought that temperature down further. It's not an insulating layer, but it's worn over a winter thermal jersey. I run quite hot and find that the breathability of this together with its windproofing and shower resistance keeps me warm enough. It doesn't feel substantial, but it is effective. Very different to something like the Castelli Alpha, but is meant to be put on/taken off as the temperatures / conditions change throughout a ride. You'd keep the Alpha on and zip and unzip the outer shell to regulate temp, etc.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Hmm. I'd prefer something that I'm able to put on and leave on for the majority of a ride which is why I originally sided with the Gabba. It appears to be a bit more substantial.
  • Have a look at Bendertherobot's blog, he's tested just about all of them and the DHB Aeron came out very, very well.

https://roubaixcycling.wordpress.com/
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Have a look at Bendertherobot's blog, he's tested just about all of them and the DHB Aeron came out very, very well.

https://roubaixcycling.wordpress.com/

It's Gabba money though.
  • How's the sizing on the Fiandre. Finding it sold out in Small on wiggle and chain reaction. I'm 60kg and 5ft 8 with a slender upper body.

Based on the dimensions of the reviewer in the review below I'll definitely need at least a small.

http://road.cc/content/review/170321-sp ... ort-sleeve
  • Germcevoy wrote:
    How's the sizing on the Fiandre. Finding it sold out in Small on wiggle and chain reaction. I'm 60kg and 5ft 8 with a slender upper body.

Based on the dimensions of the reviewer in the review below I'll definitely need at least a small.

That's Gabba money though? :D

How hot do you run? If you run hot in a DHB you'll run hotter in a Gabba, probably.

Have you looked at the Prendas Reef? (Gabba money again I'm afraid).
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Germcevoy wrote:
    How's the sizing on the Fiandre. Finding it sold out in Small on wiggle and chain reaction. I'm 60kg and 5ft 8 with a slender upper body.

That's Gabba money though? :D

How hot do you run? If you run hot in a DHB you'll run hotter in a Gabba, probably.

Have you looked at the Prendas Reef? (Gabba money again I'm afraid).

The Fiandre is less than £70 with a few retailers at the minute.

The current dhb Roubaix windslam I have is too hot due to poor breathability and ventilation. It keeps you warm alright but hit a hill in it and it's and temperature spikes.
  • The red one is £68 on PBK. In small. Has to be worth a shout. For me it looks cooler than the Gabba. And I say that in a good way, it's a top which you can layer up underneath in different ways and adjust accordingly.
  • The red one is £68 on PBK. In small. Has to be worth a shout. For me it looks cooler than the Gabba. And I say that in a good way, it's a top which you can layer up underneath in different ways and adjust accordingly.

It's a bit six of one and half dozen of the other. The Gabba seems a wear all day garment should the weather warrent it. The Fiandre seems like an on and off piece of kit. The lack of pockets is a bit of a sticking point but again it doesn't seem to need them for what it's for.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    I agree with coriordan, it's really worth finding the extra to buy a Alpha Jersey - you won't regret it. I don't take mine off it's that good and use it across wide range of temperatures with adjusting baselayer thickness.
  • I tend to agree, though, if he runs as warm as he says, he'll be wearing it sans base layer!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,877
    edited February 2016
    Galibier Mistral?

I have just bought the Gilet version, and it seems very nice quality.
    http://galibier.cc/product/mistral-foul-weather-jacket-3/
    mistral.jpg

Pretty good reviews, both on their site, and externally too:
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/jackets/galibier-mistral-jacket
    http://road.cc/content/review/170947-galibier-mistral-foul-weather-jacket

I would also echo quite how good the Alpha jersey is, I was fortunate to pick one up from Evans at the tail end of Summer last year, for less than £80 from Evans - I know the timing isn't right, but it might happen again this year.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • The Alpha seems to be a shit ton more pricey (though have only checked wiggle for now). I am liking the thought of the short sleeve options of the Fiandre and Gabba as paried with arm warmers I can easily cool down by rolling them down instead of unzipping and allowing the cold air in at the sweat inside (granted there shouldn't be too much if the garment is well ventilated).
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Galibier Mistral?

I have just bought the Gilet version, and it seems very nice quality.
    http://galibier.cc/product/mistral-foul-weather-jacket-3/
    mistral.jpg

Pretty good reviews, both on their site, and externally too:
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/jackets/galibier-mistral-jacket
    http://road.cc/content/review/170947-galibier-mistral-foul-weather-jacket

That seems to be decent. All the reviews are glowing. And only £50. Interesting.
  • Have taken a punt on that Galibier. £50 for a size small and £30 for a lovely looking long sleeve merino base layer to go with it.

Should see me through whats left of winter and autumn if it fits.
  • daniel_b
    Germcevoy wrote:
    Have taken a punt on that Galibier. £50 for a size small and £30 for a lovely looking long sleeve merino base layer to go with it.

Should see me through whats left of winter and autumn if it fits.

Good stuff, please post back with your findings on both of those garments if you wouldn't mind - the jacket I was thinking of as a present for my Bro, so would be interested on fit etc, and also the merino caught my eye as well, so would be keen to hear your take on that.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Items arrived from Galibier. The base layer is a bit short at the front but the jacket feels amazing. I won't be riding in it until tomorrow but I'm hoping for rain. Managed to hold my arm under running water for over a minute without anything creeping through.
  • daniel_b
    Germcevoy wrote:
    Items arrived from Galibier. The base layer is a bit short at the front but the jacket feels amazing. I won't be riding in it until tomorrow but I'm hoping for rain. Managed to hold my arm under running water for over a minute without anything creeping through.

Darn, I have already ordered a baselayer (As I was ordering a jersey for my gf) but as I have a short upper body am hoping it will be fine.

Hope you get a good ride in the jacket today, probably out right now I expect.
    Could I be cheeky and ask if you have time if you would mind measuring in cm the pit to pit distance, and also from top of the collar to the bottom at both the front and the back?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Germcevoy wrote:
    Items arrived from Galibier. The base layer is a bit short at the front but the jacket feels amazing. I won't be riding in it until tomorrow but I'm hoping for rain. Managed to hold my arm under running water for over a minute without anything creeping through.

Darn, I have already ordered a baselayer (As I was ordering a jersey for my gf) but as I have a short upper body am hoping it will be fine.

Could I be cheeky and ask if you have time if you would mind measuring in cm the pit to pit distance, and also from top of the collar to the bottom at both the front and the back?

Just in after 2 and a half hours in hateful conditions. I couldn't have asked for a better day to dry the jacket. 6 degrees with persistent rain which later have way to a bit of sun. Awesome jacket. The rain just rolls off it like it's afraid of the jacket. No ingress at all in about 90 minutes of rain.

The bsse layer/jacket combo jut about coped with the temperature. Absolutely fine if you are hammering but slow it up, hit a descent or stop for a puncture etc then the temperature plummets (only doing what it's supposed too I guess and this wouldn't be a problem if I was riding on my own but I would have been happier with a thin jersey on underneath as well).

Fit is great. I will post those measurements for you later. Effing delighted for £50. Would have paid double for the same performance.
  • daniel_b
    Germcevoy wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Germcevoy wrote:

Just in after 2 and a half hours in hateful conditions. I couldn't have asked for a better day to dry the jacket. 6 degrees with persistent rain which later have way to a bit of sun. Awesome jacket. The rain just rolls off it like it's afraid of the jacket. No ingress at all in about 90 minutes of rain.

The bsse layer/jacket combo jut about coped with the temperature. Absolutely fine if you are hammering but slow it up, hit a descent or stop for a puncture etc then the temperature plummets (only doing what it's supposed too I guess and this wouldn't be a problem if I was riding on my own but I would have been happier with a thin jersey on underneath as well).

Fit is great. I will post those measurements for you later. Effing delighted for £50. Would have paid double for the same performance.

Awesome stuff :D

Deelighted to hear it has turned out better than you could have hoped for!

If it were black and yellow (Like the gilet), or black and green, I would have bought it in a heartbeat - that's the only downside with them for me, they have precious few garments colourwise I actually 'desire' but then I guess a small manufacturer can't get a load of colour options - shame, as if they could make 2 in each style, or in some of the jackets and jerseys at least, I would have thought they would sell if they make the right choices - perhaps that is deemed too high risk at present.

Thanks for your help with the measurements too, much appreciated - my bro has a red Caad 3, so it would tone in perfectly :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Germcevoy wrote:

Pit to pit is 46cm
    Collar to bottom front - 53cm
    Collar to bottom back - 68cm

The front is short but it's cut that way. Perfect when in a riding position. Can't recommend it enough should you think the dimensions would work for you.
  • daniel_b
    Germcevoy wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Germcevoy wrote:

Pit to pit is 46cm
    Collar to bottom front - 53cm
    Collar to bottom back - 68cm

The front is short but it's cut that way. Perfect when in a riding position. Can't recommend it enough should you think the dimensions would work for you.

Wonderful, thankyou, will get the tape measure out tomorrow :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18