Giant Talon 2

ChILd_ReBoRn
ChILd_ReBoRn Posts: 92
edited February 2016 in MTB buying advice
So.. here's my dillema.

I'm broke.. I can't afford to buy a "proper" bike by modern standards (29"), so I make do with what I have. I started out with a UMF hardy 3. That's a freeride/dirt frame, that was to small for me, but I rode it for a while. Then I ran into a sale, and bought a 21,5" pre 2008, frame, new old stock. When it arrived in the mail, it was.. well.. weird... tall but shorter than UMF, so I didn't really prosper much. Only viable option to buy a 29er just went bust today, so I'm stuck with 26" wheels, and I have to make the best out of them. I'm offered a 20" giant talon 2 frame under warranty for the next 6 years, and under 90 pounds. It's a lot of money here, but much less than an decent used 29" bike (400+ pounds)..

Is the frame worth it? Im an amateur XC rider, roughly 100 kg, and 187cm in height.

My inseam is 87cm, so the 20" frame should work...

I have rather decent components on my retro frame ( Full xt, howitzer drive, avid 185mm brakes, rs Tora coil fork, which should be my next big upgrade), and I would need to ride this bike for the next few years to come. I'm 35 years, and aint getting younger... but can I still have fun with the 26er... I believe I could, although, everybody around me says to bus a bigger bike (meaning 29"), but.. sadly.. that's out of the question...

what's your opinnion on that?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    29ers aren't proper, or bigger, they are 29ers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    29ers aren't proper or better, just different.
  • I know all about pros and cons, but everybody around drives 29ers. faster and lighter than mine. I feel obsolete. I'm getting old...
  • It shouldn't be a matter of what is proper and what other people tell you you should get. If you can only afford the 26er, you an't afford it. You shouldn't worry about putting yourself in any sort of debt to have what everyone else has. And if you like your 26er then stick with it, and maybe save up for a 29er in the mean time.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    29 is so two years ago it's all about 27.5" now and to be honest I can't tell the difference between my new 27.5" bike and my old 26"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The only people claiming a 29er was better were the manufacturers trying to sell you a new bike. Personally I didn't get on with it when I tried a 29er, felt to cumbersome into tighter turns and kind of spoiled the fun (and that was £4K of Trek Superfly Elite, not a cheapy). I ride a 26" full susser that is home built and cost me circa £700, 100mm travel (it suites me) and sub 10Kg (I like light bikes).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.