Numbness

jumbo469
jumbo469 Posts: 15
edited February 2016 in Road general
New to sportives, forums and numbness

Is this normal?

Just done my first 70 mile sportive Saturday and my bits down below have been numb ever since? (2 days ago)

I've don a couple of 30 & 40 miles in the last week or so and they've been fine after those rides.

Should I get use to this. I have good bib tights and a Giant manufactured saddle. I also use chamois cream for chaffing.

Any advice would be much appreciated! :oops:

Comments

• jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    100% not normal and if I'd been numb for 2 days I would be seeking expert (professional) advice - first from a doctor and then from a bike fitter!
  • No pain at all, just numbness
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    oxoman wrote:
    You shouldn't really be numb for that long, it's a sign of badly fitted, unsuitable saddle or lack of padding. I personally would be getting myself checked by the quack. Stay off the bike till normal below.

This, down to the docs for you. Though to try to make you feel a bit better, I had a very similar issue some years back where the numbness was moving around my groin (a very strange phenomena). Suspected damaged perennial nerve caused by a cr*p saddle and cr*p short which were then changed and the problem was sorted fairly quickly.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • jumbo469 wrote:
    New to sportives, forums and numbness

Is this normal?

Just done my first 70 mile sportive Saturday and my bits down below have been numb ever since? (2 days ago)

I've don a couple of 30 & 40 miles in the last week or so and they've been fine after those rides.

Should I get use to this. I have good bib tights and a Giant manufactured saddle. I also use chamois cream for chaffing.

Any advice would be much appreciated! :oops:

Go and see a recommended bike fitter. Sounds like you're putting too much pressure onto your saddle area
  • Undercarriage being a bit sore after a long ride if you are unaccustomed to long hours in the saddle isn't to be unexpected, but as above, lasting two days definitely isn't right, and isn't something to ignore. This kind of thing can be nasty if you don't do anything about it, so going to the docs and staying off the bike are both a good idea.

Two questions: firstly, how long have you been cycling, and secondly, are you normally comfortable on your bike (saddle height, fore-aft position, general saddle comfort)? Everyone's different, and some people find a cutaway saddle design much more comfortable, for example. You may be one of them.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    As others have said, get a bike fit but first get yourself to see the Dr.
  • Thank all for your replies, I've been doing 20-40 miles training sessions up until a little over a week ago on my cannondale caadx cyclocross and commuting most days 4.5 miles return journeys. Then because I was doing the 70 mile sportive I got my giant tcr composite out which I haven't done too many miles on yet, so I suppose that is where I should look first.
  • Ps I've been cycling for a long time but not the distances that I've only recently started doing regularly (2 months)
    I'm 46, 165 pounds, reasonably fit with numb gonads
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Prolonged soreness is one thing, prolonged numbness is (IMO) something else. Make a docs appointment (which will take bloody ages if my experience of our fecked up NHS is anything to go by) and then see if it has sorted itself out by the time you get to see a doc.

Priorities: Numbness first, bike fit second.
  • vrsmatt
    vrsmatt Posts: 160
    I had this a few years back when I started upping the distances, a trip to the shop to get measured properly for saddle width and a proper bike fitting session later and I have no more issues. Well worth the money

Hope the numbness subsides soon!
    Giant TCR Composite 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Comp, Santa Cruz Heckler, Raleigh M-Trax Ti, Strida LT, Giant Halfway
  • Thank you all again for your replies, I've been to the quacks today, he examined me and said that I'm fine and the numbness will subside soon (fills me with enthusiasm!!!).... I have also booked a bike fit £140 got £60 off, that'll please the wife (not).
  • VRSMatt wrote:
    I had this a few years back when I started upping the distances, a trip to the shop to get measured properly for saddle width and a proper bike fitting session later and I have no more issues. Well worth the money

Hope the numbness subsides soon!

This made me feel better thanks, not alone with my problem!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You can quickly measure yourself for saddle. Mine was too narrow, without a proper cutaway which was painful after an hour.
  • being numb that long is definitely not normal. If I was numb for that long of a period of time, I would've been to the doctor already. They would be the best to figure out what exactly is wrong and what you can do to fix/prevent it the next time.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    jumbo469 wrote:
    Thank you all again for your replies, I've been to the quacks today, he examined me and said that I'm fine and the numbness will subside soon (fills me with enthusiasm!!!).... I have also booked a bike fit £140 got £60 off, that'll please the wife (not).

wait till you factor in the cost of the new saddle he'll prescribe ;)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Consider that your saddle might be too soft - this presses on soft tissue, creating inflammation, leading to numbness. A bike fitter should sort you out - your pelvis may be tilted forward, leading you to press-down on the perineal area whereas your pelvis should be tilted back and resting on the back of the saddle. I prefer to use a firmer saddle of the right shape for support and rely on good shorts for padding in the right places.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Great advice, made me feel a whole lot better
  • I've now been to the quacks and he reckons it was continued pressure and that things would get back to normal reasonably quickly! They actually have, the numbness has subsided considerably. I have also had my bike fit and found out where I was going wrong. Leaning forward too much amongst other things, saddle height and angle, cleat adjustments, bars rotated. I guess they all have an affect on each other.
    And to give my problem an even happier ending than it is now, on the way to my bike fit I bought myself a Genesis Datum 30, wow that cures all life's problems in one go.....
    Thank you all again for you thoughtful responses!!!
  • This happened to me when I bought my first road bike ( had a mtb before ) the cause was definitely the saddle (Bianchi branded) - the padding was causing the problem by compressing nerves which caused prolonged numbness for about a week. It was recommend to get a hard saddle with no padding - I bought a carbon SLR and the problem went away. The fit is personal so as recommended try out a few if your LBS allows.
  • If you continue to experience problems, I'd maybe think about a saddle with a channel in it. I think people are just different shapes 'down there'. I've not experienced it a lot, but I've noticed pressure at times, and did go worryingly numb for a while after spending 17 hours on the bike. Bought myself an Alliante VS since then with a slight channel and that seems to have helped relieve a little pressure. But then I don't very often do 250 mile rides, so it's still awaiting a serious test!
  • Just switched to a Specialized Power saddle. Revelation. Forget the short nose, you shouldnt be sitting there anyway. Nice shape, very wide channel, no numbness.
  • And if you need to check your posture I recommend Ten-point in Amersham.