Upgrade 10 year old Cannondale, or replace bike?

johnny25
johnny25 Posts: 344
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Not too sure which is best option on this one.

I have an 10 year old (2006) Cannondale Synapse carbon road bike fitted with 5700 group set etc and Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels. Other bits and pieces have been upgraded over the years - seat post, pedals and bars.

The group set is now showing its age, with brake levers wobbling, gearing going to pot every 3 or 4 rides and bottom bracket clicking and creaking. It's cost me a small fortune in servicing (the bits I can't fix myself) over the years.

On the last service the frame was deemed absolutely fine for its age, as it has been very well looked after. I mainly use the bike for climbing (11 - 28 on a compact chain set) or on more hilly routes where the gearing is more forgiving.

At this point I'm now looking to upgrade or replace the bike with a £1500ish budget to spend.

So do I strip off the 5700 group set and add a 5800 or even 6800 group set for £300 - £450 to the Synapse frame and add some Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon wheels (or similar) for £1000 - £1200 or do I save my time and just buy a replacement bike?

The replace bike option initially felt the right move and there are some great discounts on 2015 bikes out there, but for £1500 (even discounted) you generally get a decent frame but not necessarily a complete group set and only basic wheels. The exceptions being Rose and Canyon.

The upgrade route now appears more sensible, but will an 10 year old carbon frame last for another 3 or 4 years (to make the upgrade route worthwhile) or does the carbon frame have a limited shelf life? There are no issues with the frame.

Any input welcome.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    The frame will be perfect, so no worries there.

I must admit that I am slightly biased - one of my biggest cycling mistakes I still regret 11 years on was selling my old 'Dale CAAD - lime green, gorgeous and lovely to ride, so I would say upgrade and keep the frame.

Loads of bargains out there though, especially if you don't mind a brand new frame that's a couple of years old from CRC or similar. Chuck on a massively discounted group set and you'll have a brand new bike that's lovely to ride and keep the 'Dale to upgrade anyway when the other half isn't looking.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • johnny25
    Finally went for the upgrade route.

Looked at lots of heavily discounted bikes with minimal specs, but just couldn't see the value in stripping them down and upgrading.

Anyway, with the help of Chain Reaction discounts and an extra 10% discount for British Cycling members, the upgrade came in at just over £1k, which was well within my budget.

- Out went the 10 year old 105 group set and in came an 11sp Ultegra group set.

- Out went the 4 year old Racing 3's (still keeping them as they're damn good wheels) and in came some Mavic Ksyrium Pro SL's. I really liked the Mavic Kysrium Elite S (were on my second bike) and with the discounts, the Pro SL's fitted the bill nicely.

- Out went the old handle bars and stem and in came a 3T Arx Pro stem with a 3T ErgoNova Pro handle bar with Lizard Skins bar tape.

Took the bike out for the first time today, and my, what a difference the Ultegra group set makes! Far more control and super quick gear changes, especially on the hills. The 40cm handle bars (down from 44) give me far better control in cornering at speed and the Mavic's behaved well and seemed stiff enough when putting the power down and dealing with short sharp ramps.

On the whole, very pleased and would recommend this to anyone thinking about upgrading their old bike.

Also big thanks to Gary at Unleashed Cycles Leamington Spa who put the whole thing together for me!

Tip08Y8.jpg

Before upgrade

8PlG7Eg.jpg?1

After upgrade
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    And you didn't think to match the cages!!!!
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    coriordan wrote:
    Now, now Mr Picky (but I think you're right!).
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • johnny25
    coriordan wrote:

Arse! I'm on to it.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    hoods postion changed loads?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Is this a spot the difference competition?
    You don't use the kitchen much. The utensils haven't moved - but the hand cream has by one tile. You're wearing the same jeans but squatting in the first pick

Serious question - why did you change the stem (most boring part of a bike, imo)?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    ^home alone saddo.