Tagging onto random group rides/races in Zwift

shmo
shmo Posts: 321
edited February 2016 in Road general
I should probably ask this on the Zwift forum really but does anyone know what people think about tagging onto an organised ride or group that have clearly identified themselves as such by adding extra letters to their names, but which hasn't necessarily been advertised as an open and public group ride?

For instance, last night I joined the US Sunday Spin ride and got dropped after two laps, but wasn't ready to pack it in so when a PZR C group came past I jumped on and stuck with them for a bit for extra training.

Clearly if it's a ride like the USS which is advertised on the Zwift facebook events then anyone is free to join, but if it's an organised race I guess it could distort the result having random people getting involved.

Maybe I'm overthinking this and no one actually cares. It is effectively an open circuit packed full of riders after all so a private race is never going to happen unless the developers add that in as a feature.

Comments

• For races I think it would be a bit rude. But I've gotten involved in a few group rides just by happening to be crossing the finish line at the same time so thought I would join. Last one was an 'ODZ' ride which I think means they are doing 100km. Set off and I was on the red line almost immediately, managed to hang for almost a lap and got dropped just before the line. And it was supposed to be an easy pace going 100km!
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Just do whatever you want, its only the internet. I race with ZTR and I've joined a few group rides that just happened to come by.... If anyone complains if you press "S" 3 times on the keyboard you can shove a virtual stick through their spokes....
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    HAHAHAHHAHAH

HAHAHAHHA

What the f**k is cycling coming to.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    :
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Just do whatever you want, its only the internet. I race with ZTR and I've joined a few group rides that just happened to come by.... If anyone complains if you press "S" 3 times on the keyboard you can shove a virtual stick through their spokes....

:lol::lol::lol:
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    LOL Soon you'll be able to just take a pill instead of riding your bike.
  • Why couldn't you have just ride round on your own?

Nobody can tell people what pace they should or shouldn't ride on Zwift so if you tag on the back of a group why should anybody be able to tell you that you can't.

Hopefully they will sort out a decent lobby for group rides\races which will isolate them from people not involved this this wouldn't be an issue.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Good grief, virtual wheel sucking etiquette, where will it all end :lol:
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Yeah alright, I just started using it and didn't want to wind people up.

Why not ride on my own? I don't know. It seems more fun trying to hang in with a group.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    It's not a group ride.you are not in a group.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    john1967 wrote:

Apparently there are drafting effects on Zwift - so it must reduce the resistance if you're "behind" someone else.

I can see how that may upset people in an organised race - epsecially if you lead out a sprinter in the final stretch - but it should be fairly easy for the programmers to code out outside influence or even outside riders (Virtual Private Circuit) - otherwise, if it's just a bunch of riders riding around then surely it doesn't matter.

As for why you'd do it - well - it's usually more social to ride in a group and can help by encouraging you or others to put a bit more effort in when otherwise you'd back off - it's just a virtual ride though - if you want to "train" then do you own thing and ignore the others - like you would on the road or turbo.
  • john1967 wrote:

You are. Just because it's a virtual group doesn't change that it's a group.
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Apparently there are drafting effects on Zwift - so it must reduce the resistance if you're "behind" someone else.

AIUI it doesn't reduce the resistance if you're in a draft but it does increase your in game speed, or allow you to maintain the same speed for less power.