Rose Xeon CDX - how so light

luke a-d
luke a-d Posts: 14
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
I've been eyeing up the Rose Xeon CDX 3000. At 7.5kg it's considerably lighter than more expensive competitors such as the Focus Cayo Ultegra Disc (8.3kg for the same size), despite the same groupset and wheels and the latter considered to have a light frame. Can anyone explain how it's so much lighter? Is it the frame? Components? A typo?

Comments

• herzog
    herzog Posts: 197
    edited February 2016
    Rose often understate total bike weights, that's a simple explanation...possibly.
  • Herzog wrote:
    Rose often understate total bike weights, that's a simple explanation...

Same could be said of most manufacturers. Mine actually came out spot on (according to the super accurate bathroom scales test...) but I'd be interested to know how you came to your conclusion - I've not read any reviews that said this before? (not saying it's false btw)
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Herzog wrote:

I would be very surprised if this has any truth in it.
    Some bikes may differ slightly from the estimated weight, but anything significant or if the whole stock of a model clearly differed in weight from the advertisement then trading standards would be on the case.
  • The Rose website goes as far saying their weights are correct to + or - 5%.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    luke a-d wrote:
    I've been eyeing up the Rose Xeon CDX 3000. At 7.5kg it's considerably lighter than more expensive competitors such as the Focus Cayo Ultegra Disc (8.3kg for the same size), despite the same groupset and wheels and the latter considered to have a light frame. Can anyone explain how it's so much lighter? Is it the frame? Components? A typo?

Could be a few things like components, I swapped a seatpost and seat and saved 300g.. Could be better quality of the carbon build in the frame. Some manufacturers use the weight in size small, some size medium.

The price difference will be down to their business model, and the euro rate. That's why Rose, Radon & Canyon are often such bargains.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    In addition the colour of the paint makes a difference. White carbon bikes require more layers of paint to cover the lay up. So on the Rose site you'll see that they state what colour frame they are referring to with the weight (always the black option if there is one).
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    The DT Swiss R23's are reasonably light. Feel like feathers compared to the campags on the winter steed. I think the Focus has R24's which are a bit heavier.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • herzog
    herzog Posts: 197
    Herzog wrote:

Same could be said of most manufacturers. Mine actually came out spot on (according to the super accurate bathroom scales test...) but I'd be interested to know how you came to your conclusion - I've not read any reviews that said this before? (not saying it's false btw)

Two club mate's bikes have come in significantly over the stated weight (i.e., more than 5%), and I've heard from them that it is not uncommon (that's heresy admittedly).

I should add that they were otherwise pretty happy with the bikes!
  • sabgla
    sabgla Posts: 15
    The weights do look pretty good on the Xeon CDX's. I have one on order right now mostly based on that! Due in a couple of weeks. I am signed up for some big rides this year so wanted something as light as i could get but with discs.

I did a lot of research and they are the lightest for the price i could find. Trouble is there arent that many reviews around in the UK. Got some good review scores in Germany though.

FIngers crossed i like it when it comes. I am slightly nervous about it. But i bought my PlanetX mail order 10 years ago and that has been great.

SAB
  • hi Luke,
    did you buy the Rose Xeon CDX in the end.? any feedback?
    I am looking into the new rose x-lite cdx
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    Me too, the wheel set is putting me off at the moment and the options to change are limited and expensive to upgrade.