Between CAAD12 105 vs Scott Solace 30...

yhchang90
yhchang90 Posts: 3
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
I now have saved just enough money to buy a decent quality road bike with 105 group set.
I have done weeks of research to see what road bike I should buy.
I even visited LBS to test ride a few bikes. I tested CAAD12 once (very short around-the-shop ride)
I have also tested FELT alu bikes.
Have not, not however, tested Scott Solace 30.

It may sound odd, but I got down to CAAD12 and SOLACE 30.
CAAD12 is on my final list because it seems to be the best Alu bike that can compete with many lower quality carbon bikes.
Solace is on my final list because I found a great deal on ebay (1200 dollars), AND many reviews told me that Solace is a wonderful bike.

My questions is this,
although I am new to road cycling, I do enjoy the unique "racey feel" of road bikes (as in sprinting)
I know that CAAD12 is made to be racey, which I like. (also good for climbing?)
Solace, on the other hand is meant to be an endurance bike with some racey feature.
TO those who have ridden Scott Solace: is it racy enough to use in local races?
How is the rear direct mount brake working for you?

To summarize my question simply:
Should I spend extra 300 or 400 dollars to get the "BEST" Alu bike in the market
OR
Should I save some money and put my feet in the Carbon zone, even though the bike may not be as "Racy"
(Some of you might suggest that getting scott addict would be a logical choice, but my reasoning is that, if I were to spend more than 1500 dollars, I might as well just go with CAAD12 for its value and my taste)

Comments

• No experience of the Cannondale, but I bought a Solace 30 (105) last year from Pauls Cycles. I 'needed' a new bike and always had Bianchis but my back is knackered, and couldn't justify the cost of an Infinito (or rather couldn't hide the cost from the other half).
    I've been really impressed with the Solace, but slowly upgrading it to Ultegra. The frame is really good with the two 'zones' - lower part for power (very thick chain stays) and upper part for comfort (thin tubes). I've also added a lightweight Fizik saddle and currently run it on Shimano RS80 wheels which further reduce road buzz and improve the comfort element. The frame itself is light for an 'endurance' bike and with all my changes, it's down to a little over 7kg.
    I'm purely a recreational cyclist for fitness, so don't race, but I daresay the Solace would still be fine for racing, depending how its set up.
    One thing that drove me mad was the internal cabling, which has to be adjusted correctly or it will rattle. The Solace has a massive down tube, which amplifies any rattles, regardless of where they are on the bike.
    I guess it really comes down to what you want from a bike - and your two choices are very different. If comfort is important, the Solace is good value for money (especially the way Scotts are discounted) and a good base for upgrades (we all do that don't we!), but if you are flexible and want a good 'racy' aluminium bike, an awful lot of folk will recommend the Cannondale.
    Another thing I'd say re the Solace, is the frames come up quite big, so if you can't get fitted for one and are between sizes, go for the smaller one. Not only will it look aesthetically better (as the head tube is high), but it's easier to make a smaller frame fit with a longer stem etc, than it is to shrink a frame that's too big. I'm 5'10" and ride a medium (54) frame, but inside leg measurement, reach, will also be a factor.
    Hope this helps.
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • Forgot to mention the rear brake!
    The 105 Solace comes with a 'Tektro' direct fit rear brake caliper, mounted under the chain stay, behind the bottom bracket. It's safe to say this brake is utter garbage, and will need upgraded. I fitted an Ultegra one (a real bugger to fit and it also needs an inline cable adjuster which the Tektro doesn't have) and its great - very powerful. I only use my Solace in dry weather, so never had an issue with dirt affecting the brake but can see how this may be an issue, not so much with sling from the back wheel, but from the front.
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • Thank you for the reply with detailed feedback from your personal experience.
    You are right, it really all comes down to "my personal taste"
    Another factor, that I realized to be very important is the availability of the bikes in LBS.
    In other words, I would get to have free fitting for buying a CAAD12 while I would not be able to know even the right size for Solace since it is an ebay sale (I am 5'11", though always felt like 56 is a little too big for me).

Anyway, I still have some time to make a decision.
    Ill count in your review making up my mind.
    Thank you!