Luxury cottages/chalets to rent?

brucey72
brucey72 Posts: 1,086
edited February 2016 in The cake stop
I have used this forum for years for help with cycling related queries with great sucess over the years. Now I need some none cycling help.

This week has been one of the worst of my life after being told on Wednesday that my malignant melanoma has spread into my liver, the drugs are no longer working and I only have a matter of months left.

My family have been brilliantly supportive throughout and have asked if there is something I really want to do and the answer is 'yes, I'd like to pay for a luxury house/chalet for 3 nights in the Lake District/n Yorks, Peak District or rural Northumberland so that I can have all my family together for a special long weekend'. When I say luxury I mean lakeside views, jacuzzis, pool room, cinema room, the real business. Something special. It would be for 12 people with 7 adults and 5 kids.

I have done some research but my head is still over the place so was wondering whether anyone has any ideas as to where I should start looking? I want to arrange it for either of the first 2 weekends In March so time is slightly of the essence but also because of my rapidly deteriorating health also I need to get a move on.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    No idea about the chalet, but please accept my sincere sympathy and best wishes. I hope that you manage to make the most of whatever time you have left.
  • brucey72
    Thanks finchy for your kind words
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    You might have a look at onefinestay, they do short term rents of luxury pads but I don't know if they do that part of the world.

And I echo finchy's words, thoughts are with you.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Lakelovers.co.uk have quiet a few luxury properties that sleep 10+ , hope the weekend gives both you and your family great comfort and memories
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I think we would all echo Finchy's words. I am truly sorry.
  • brucey72
    Thanks for your thoughts guys. Just to let you know that I have sorted out some beautiful accomadation on Ullswater for a couple of weekends time.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    i hope you all have a wonderful time together

memories are precious, it is a good thing that you are doing
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • peterbob
    peterbob Posts: 46
    edited February 2016
    I'm sorry.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Hope your health will hold up and you'll have a good time there.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    As others have said I'm really sorry to hear this, I hope you have a great weekend and all really enjoy the time together.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Wishing you and your family a fun time with lots of lasting memories.

I truly feel for you having been nearly there with my wife 6 years ago and she starts Chemo again tomorrow afternoon for a second series.

My thoughts are with you.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    I'll add my best wishes as well; was going to suggest Rural Retreats who we've always found to be excellent.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I hope you all have a great time and that the memories of the time spent together go some way to helping the family in days to come.
    My ex wife (mother of my 17yr old son) has had similar news delivered to her recently and we are all trying to come to terms with such a bombshell.
    Although I'm close to a similar situation, I can't imagine how one deals with something like this.
    Take care sir, I'm sure all our thoughts are with you.
  • brucey72
    I have just revisited this thread and just wanted to thank again those who have posted their thoughts. It may just be a forum, I have never met you guys but i have genuinely found it touching. Thanks.

I don't think there is any blue print on how to deal with these things. I know I'm fortunate to have a very supportive and understanding family which definitely helps. After suffering kidney failure and having a transplant 25 years ago I have always lived with the risks of the side effects from the immunosuppression drug therapy and there was always a good chance it would be my undoing.

I wouldn't change a thing though. I have no regrets and from a cycling point of view I have so many great memories particularly cycling holidays in the French Alps and my biggest achievement which was completing La Marmotte in 2009. I made a lot of new friends along the way from all over the world.

I'm happy to be in a position to give something back to my family and I'm really excited about our holiday. It will be the first time we have all been away together like this and I know they are all just as excited as me.

I will probably do a quick report to let you know how it went for those interested. In the meantime, carry on enjoying your cycling and I'll probably be over on the PTP forum trying my luck - at least I have no excuses to rush my picks and study form this year haha.

Brucey.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    brucey72 wrote:
    I have just revisited this thread and just wanted to thank again those who have posted their thoughts. It may just be a forum, I have never met you guys but i have genuinely found it touching. Thanks.

I don't think there is any blue print on how to deal with these things. I know I'm fortunate to have a very supportive and understanding family which definitely helps. After suffering kidney failure and having a transplant 25 years ago I have always lived with the risks of the side effects from the immunosuppression drug therapy and there was always a good chance it would be my undoing.

I wouldn't change a thing though. I have no regrets and from a cycling point of view I have so many great memories particularly cycling holidays in the French Alps and my biggest achievement which was completing La Marmotte in 2009. I made a lot of new friends along the way from all over the world.

I'm happy to be in a position to give something back to my family and I'm really excited about our holiday. It will be the first time we have all been away together like this and I know they are all just as excited as me.

I will probably do a quick report to let you know how it went for those interested. In the meantime, carry on enjoying your cycling and I'll probably be over on the PTP forum trying my luck - at least I have no excuses to rush my picks and study form this year haha.

Brucey.

Hi Brucey, it's good you can talk about what you're going through with a bunch of internet guys you've never met, but share a common interest with, I hope you keep us informed as long as possible, such a taboo subject for british/western cultures needs a wider platform to help us all to face up to and accept the inevitable. Have a great holiday with your family, looking forward to many more posts from you!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Ive read this thread many times and am gutted for you but at the same time I admire the way you have handled yourself. Obviously there is nothing I can do or say to make things better but after reading something, from someone I don't know I honestly can tell you that I've been effected by what you have written, in a good way really. I lost my mother a couple of years ago and like you she was brave and had others feelings at the forefront and I will remember the way she acted for the rest of my life, just the same as I reckon your family will feel towards you.

Do you have any other bucket list things to complete ?
    Living MY dream.
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    I'll echo Finchy's words too, I hope you staty strong to enjoy that time with your family. All the very best.
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10