So after all that I've gone with a boardman!

GRicha673
GRicha673 Posts: 23
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Was about to pull the trigger when I stumbled across a boardman Air 9.0! I loved everything about it. Any of the forumers ride one and can I have your thoughts?, cheers guys

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    In your other thread you mentioned you had a supersix, there is a difference in the geometry with a Tarmac- but I do not think it is huge - so I would say the same size as the supersix you had.
  • I'm just shy of 6'4 and have a 61' Tarmac. I initially went for a 58 but it just didn't fit as well.

If I was having a punt I'd say a 58 would work for you but others may say different. Ultimately there's no substitution for actually sitting on the bike I'm afraid.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Your height is not that relevant.
    Your Supersix will give a much better indication. I presume that is a 56
    Just check the virtual top tube of both.

I am 6'1" and would 100% get a 56.
  • Gaz777
    Gaz777 Posts: 84
    I'm 6'2" and ride a 58cm. I've had a fit done and my overall position was okay, but they swapped the standard 110mm stem for a 100mm one. All feels good now many months later.
  • I was a 56 on the supersix and felt fine, it wasn't until someone said, that looks small I became abit paranoid about it! I've had a bad back for a good year which someone said could of been down to a small frame but I'm skeptical and put it down to a pretty rough 10 years squadding!!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    A rough comparison is to compare reach and stack measurements. Just allow for stem and bars to be more accurate.
  • smmjrr
    smmjrr Posts: 45
    I am almost 6 foot and fit a 56 Tarmac with plenty room for adjustment, Steve
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I'm 6'1'' and a 56 cm Allez with 110 mm stem fits me perfectly. I understand that Tarmac & Allez have similar geometry. As an aside, my Synapse is also a 56 and, again, fits perfectly but with the stock 100mm stem.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • I'm 6 foot and ride a 56cm Allez, my friend is 6'2" and rides a 58cm Tarmac.

You're probably on the edge of both when you look at sizing charts so it depends if you are long in the leg or body. If its leg then 56cm if its Body then 58cm.

Comparison with Cannondale sizing's is your best bet though.

I would go 56cm.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Yes I'm just inside 6'2 and I'd go for a 58 tarmac but agree that some people of the OPs height would go for a 56.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    And there is an old adage that says, within reason, it is easier to make a smaller bike fit a bigger person than than it is to make a big bike smaller.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Thanks for all the replys guys. I can't get my hands on either size to have a feel of what's best before I order. I agree with what's been said I feel I could get away with a 56 or 58. My only hope of getting a fitting is if Evans cycles in Woking have a pair of tarmacs in the shop!
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    I went from a cannondale to a Tarmac. I'm only 5ft 8 and went from a CAAD10 in a 52 to a 54 on a Tarmac. I have long legs and short torso and the longer effective top tube on the cannondale meant I was over stretching. I tried a 52 Tarmac initially but the seat post was too high and would have done my aging back no good at all.

I would be cautious about fitting on a 56 if you are currently comfortable on a 58 cannondale.

P
  • Was about to pull the trigger when I stumbled across a boardman Air 9.0! I loved everything about it. Any of the forumers ride one and can I have your thoughts?, cheers guys
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have a verrry old Pro Carbon SLR (before it was called SLR) and absolutely love it. Sold it in the summer and bought it back of the same guy, with only 50 additional miles, last weekend. Took it for 50 miles yesterday and much much prefer it to my Kinesis.

I think they are very underrated bikes, although the newest ones do seem to have very chunky tubes!