Garmin 810 or 1000

mickcee
mickcee Posts: 46
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
I off to Majorca cycling again in April, managed last time I went with a group without any form of mapping between us. We all had an idea of where we were going and had safety in numbers should we go wrong. I currently have a 510.

I am looking to get out and about for a few ride and have hired a bike when im with the Mrs. i am going to upgrade to one of the garmin units with mapping but wanted to know if anyone has managed with either over there?

As far as i can see regarding mapping, its just screen size and the 810 only picks up 1 satellite

Comments

• I have ridden there with both. The 810 with Open Street Map free maps is fine for the job. I prefer the 1000 for syncing, but for mapping there is no significant advantage.

Best to carry this in your pocket.

e8b9c2327d4a361df77f66fd21505860.jpg
    dda946aab5b5b293deabc63aabbacf59.jpg
  • Just get the 1000, it's not more expensive and the larger screen is worth it if you plan to use the full routing facilities also allows you more screen space for other metrics like power and hr
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    For the price difference get the 1000, not enough of a delta not to.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    If you want a device which displays a map you can follow then just get the 520.

If you want turn by turn navigation avoid the 810 as this causes it to constantly crash (just look at the 810 forum). Not sure if the 1000 has the same issues as i have never used it.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    redvision wrote:

If you want turn by turn navigation avoid the 810 as this causes it to constantly crash (just look at the 810 forum). Not sure if the 1000 has the same issues as i have never used it.

Is this also an issue on the 800?
  • redvision
    Rigga wrote:
    redvision wrote:

Is this also an issue on the 800?

Not sure tbh.
    Bluetooth causes lots of the crashes on the 810, but turn by turn simply does not work reliably, if at all. I finally snapped and replaced mine.

The 800 does not have Bluetooth so maybe it could be more reliable. But if it runs the same software version then the turn by turn will probably suffer the same problems.
  • I've been using the 1000 for the last 1000 miles and no issues. Great mapping and bluetooth works well.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Used an 800 for nearly 3 years, turn by turn works fine and has never crashed.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    my 810 with open map has crashed once in a year.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • redvision

But were you using turn by turn??
    When I had the map page displayed on its own I only had a couple of crashes. When I turned on turn by turn directions the thing crashed every time. Sometimes I could get 60 miles in before it happened, but it did every time.

Its a well known issue and garmin being garmin seem unable to fix it.
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    https://www.hopmansfietsgigant.nl/assor ... edge-1000/

Full package from reputable shop here in The Netherlands, Cheapest I've come across 356 GBP
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Maybe 15,000 miles with my 800 - half of which will have had turn by turn on. It has frozen once in all that time, and a reset sorted it quickly and easily. I dont have the latest firmware though - saw no need for it when its working fine.

Better battery life than the 1000 and touch screen works with gloves on. Its not as sexy as the 1000 or 520 but its just a solid functional performer.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    redvision wrote:

When I had the map page displayed on its own I only had a couple of crashes. When I turned on turn by turn directions the thing crashed every time. Sometimes I could get 60 miles in before it happened, but it did every time.

It isn't Bluetooth that effects the 810, it's Garmin Connect and LiveTrack. There is a way around the problem if you have an iPhone to be able to download Cyclemeter that will still give you Livetrack functions. I switch off Bluetooth and use the device with turn by turn without problem. I set Cyclemeter on to let my wife or whoever track my location. Advantages are the device doesn't switch off and lock, and the battery life on the device is better through not having Bluetooth on. Post ride, Cyclemeter auto uploads to whatever you want with readings from your HRM, Powermeter etc etc.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Turn by turn working fine our 810. It went crappy for a little while (crashing every 25 miles or so) but after rolling back the firmware to the one it came with it's not put a foot wrong for 8 months or so. That's with Bluetooth on as well. Only thing the firmware really brought was live segments but that's not something we'd use.

Only problem it that the older firmware doesn't seem to hook up well with the newer versions of the Connect app on my wife's iPhone. Often takes a few tries to auto upload.
  • The 1000 is pretty old now as tech goes. But the 810 is *really* old, it's been rumoured to be up for replacement for over a year. So buying at this moment there's no question that you should get the 1000.
  • i use an 800 for turn by turn and its ever crashed either.

To answer your query, buy the one you can afford
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    redvision wrote:

Agreed re the 520. You lose the ability to recalculate routes but if you are just following a pre-planned route then that doesn't really matter.

As for the 810 - mines been pretty good (no particular probs with turn by turn). I've heard enough bad news about the 1000 for me not to be tempted even if I could get over the bulk of it (which I can't!). But that's just a matter of taste and eyesight.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    redvision wrote:

yes, was using turn by turn at the time.

The 1000 does have a better screen and some nicer routing functionality. But it was pretty new out when I got my 810 so I couldn't justify the jump in cost. So far there hasn't been any time when I've missed having anything. The strave live segments works well on the 810 too.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500