Adventure Road Bike Pedals?!

kikismalls
kikismalls Posts: 8
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

I know this sounds ridiculous but i've just bought my first adventure road bike and no idea what type of pedals I should buy for it - Can anyone post any suggestions? Preferably under £40, I'm not too bothered about weight at this stage. Thanks!

Comments

• Shimano m520 if spd, if you want flats you're better off posting in the MTB section although prepare yourself for serious abuse if you use the same thread title.
  • Shimano m520 if spd, if you want flats you're better off posting in the MTB section although prepare yourself for serious abuse if you use the same thread title.

Was literally just looking at these. haha thanks mate, I'll be careful!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Shimano SPD or if you like lots of float Time ATAC (but they re more expensive)

Crank brothers have bearings made of cheese so I'd avoid.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    As above, Shimano SPDs. I've got XTs on my winter bike but if I'm honest they probably don't offer any real advantages over the m520s already suggested.
  • Yes - M520 bought off eBay - but make sure they include cleats (whether you need them or not)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/nano-x-pedals.htm seem to be popular.

I'm toying with whether to swap the mystery model Wellgo pedals that came with my Wazoo, or swap them for a set of Wellgo B54s flats or Time ATAC XS carbon (off other bikes). I've never used anything SPD-like off-road, so my fear is how will my reactions be if it all goes pear-shaped while clipped in the wilderness.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    MrB123 wrote:
    As above, Shimano SPDs. I've got XTs on my winter bike but if I'm honest they probably don't offer any real advantages over the m520s already suggested.

I have everything from 520s to XTR SPD pedals. Couldn't tell you the difference without looking which one I am clipped into!

520s are very durable and really are cheap as chips. Hard to look anywhere much beyond them for something you can walk in etc.

As above, make sure they include cleats, there are some sellers that split them to make more money!
  • so my fear is how will my reactions be if it all goes pear-shaped while clipped in the wilderness.

Wind the pressure right off them and they're pretty easy to unclip from in a panic. I think Shimano also do a very light clipping pedal (maybe the M540 or something?)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ddraver
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/nano-x-pedals.htm seem to be popular.

I'm toying with whether to swap the mystery model Wellgo pedals that came with my Wazoo, or swap them for a set of Wellgo B54s flats or Time ATAC XS carbon (off other bikes). I've never used anything SPD-like off-road, so my fear is how will my reactions be if it all goes pear-shaped while clipped in the wilderness.

Loosen the pedals and you 'll be fine... I don't think flats are good for long road distances really.
    - @ddraver
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    MrB123 wrote:

+1 for SPDs, although I found my 520's squeaked when used with my Spesh MTB Pro shoes, but the XT 8000s have been silent in comparison.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • I'll be going for a pair of Shimano spd pedals as well when I get my cyclocross bike. As it'll be used about 90% on the road I'll be going for a pair of more touring oriented pedals which offer more support to the shoe such as the A520- it might help reduce the amount of 'hot spot' from my relatively cheap shoes. Plus I can switch to the flat side whilst I'm still gaining my confidence off road.

I might get a pair of M520's for the real cross season for their dual sided entry and to help prevent mud clogging though.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I use nukeproof electrons on mine, light slim and plenty of grip.
  • ddraver
    I'll be going for a pair of Shimano spd pedals as well when I get my cyclocross bike. As it'll be used about 90% on the road I'll be going for a pair of more touring oriented pedals which offer more support to the shoe such as the A520- it might help reduce the amount of 'hot spot' from my relatively cheap shoes. Plus I can switch to the flat side whilst I'm still gaining my confidence off road.

I might get a pair of M520's for the real cross season for their dual sided entry and to help prevent mud clogging though.
    To be honest, id just go straight for the M520s, the "other side" has so little grip you ll be even worse off. The skills will come with practice
    - @ddraver
  • N1TRO
    N1TRO Posts: 103
    I wonder who comes up with these code names for Shimano's parts, shoes etc. It's all a mess of random letters and numbers.

Anyway, after decyphering which ones were on my bike, I'd recommend looking at the A530s - they come in silver or black, SPD on one side and flat on the other. Usable in pretty much every situation and not at all the same thing as the A520.