folding bead tyres and getting them centred on wheel rim

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited February 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
As the subject title says any tips?

I've put a new rear tyre on my bike to try out, the tyre is a x-king 2.2.

I haven't had this issue before but with this one I am having a trouble getting the tyre centred on the wheel rim.

I pumped it up a little and then gently pulled the tyre around and then pumped up to 40psi and I could hear the bead pop, however the tyre when spinning the wheel is slightly wobbly, the wheel is not buckled.

looking around the tyre both sides I can see the line around the tyre that's just above the bead is correctly around the top of the wheel rim but the tyre is definitely not on straight.

how do you guys make sure the tyre is on straight, the front tyre a xr4 went on fine no issues with this.

I did before putting the tyre on unfold it out and left it for a hour before fitting it on the wheel.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    take out of box. fit, pump up to seat beads, set pressure, ride.

don't do anything special.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • swod1
    nicklouse wrote:
    take out of box. fit, pump up to seat beads, set pressure, ride.

don't do anything special.

yes but when I spin the wheel the tyre is not on straight even after pumping up to 40psi to seat the tyre in the rim.

my wheel mavic en821 is not buckled so how come the tyre hasn't gone on straight?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try some more psis.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    cooldad wrote:
    Try some more psi.

Will try this and see what happens but 40PSI, I did here the bead pop so should have seated it.

I have had conti tyres before and not had this, some race kings I use go on fine but this x-king tyre has been a pain in the back side.
  • cooldad
    I go much higher sometimes, and also give them a 'roll' around the rim, like a spanish burn sort of thing if they are particularly annoying.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some soap suds to lubricate it on can help as well.

I had a tyre once that needed 80psi to seat the first time!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    The Rookie wrote:

Isn't there a real danger of the tyre exploding at 80 psi??
  • cooldad
    If it does, probably not a good idea to trust it down a gnarly trail carrying your bulk. Or mine anyway if you are a racing snake type.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    edited February 2016
    Not sure about bike design, but on cars we treat a 4g input as the maximum road input (e.g. Speed bump at speed), that would put a 40psi tyre (within manufacturers suggested max pressure when unloaded) up at about 120psi.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I replaced a tyre and left it at over 80 psi overnight - popped a couple of times on the way up. It was fairly difficult to get on as some are - like yours - so it needed this extra pressure to put it in place for use.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Yeh pump it up hard.. Leave it for a bit.. Then a gentle ride.. It should sort itself out.
  • swod1
    Cheers for replies.

I've had another go and let all air out and had the tyre up to 95psi my track pump read on gauge, even though it did say on the tyre sidewall not to go over 4.5 bar 65psi.

This is with a tube in it as well which I was expecting to pop.

Took bike out on a gentle ride on street and seems to have sorted it.

However should I have left it at that high psi for a few hours as I've let some air out and left tyre at 45psi?
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Tubed or tubeless?
  • The Rookie
    The 65psi is so it stays safe when riding, hit a step up and it will be at in excess of 150psi from a 65psi start, as for the tube going pop, it doesn't retain any pressure at all, it just stops leaks, so that isn't going to happen.....
  • JGTR
    Found this, may be helpful:

3. Soapy water speeds things along

Spraying the tyre and rim with soapy water will allow the rubber to snap into place at a lower pressure. This is important because many tyres, even those with tubeless-ready beads, should not be inflated to more than 40 or 50psi (depending on volume). Exceeding these pressures can cause damage to the tyre and rim.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie wrote:
    Or you could have read the thread?
  • cooldad
    Weirdly he did. Probably just a short attention span.
    JGTR wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Isn't there a real danger of the tyre exploding at 80 psi??
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JGTR
    What's more impressive is that you 2 saddos care enough to post about it :lol:
  • cooldad
    I'd say don't worry about it, but with your goldfish attention span I'm guessing you've already forgotten what we're taking about.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JGTR
    Forgotten.......or just don't care.
  • If you take a tubeless ready tyre over it's normally max 60psi rating, even for a short time, 9 times out of 10 you end up with weepy sidewalls.
    I've had a rim explode in my face at less than 90psi trying to quickly seat a non-tubeless tyre set up tubeless with a compressor.
    Made me deaf for a few hours and cut my hand quite badly.

Soapy water and leave it overnight will seat stubborn tyres.
    I don't like going over max recommended tyre pressure ever now.

Historically, for road anyways, tyres are pumped up until they blow off an erto rim for that size and then half of that pressure becomes the max recommended pressure.
  • The Rookie
    I call BS, set the tyre to 60psi and get on the bike and get the pressure checked while you are on it, it will be circa 75-80spi, see that weeping - that'll only be you, not the tyre!