Mavic Elite front wheel problem help needed

bing gordon
bing gordon Posts: 662
edited February 2016 in Workshop
My Mavic Elite front wheel started to make a gritty grinding noise, It sounds like there's muck in the bearings plus it makes a rubbing type sound as though the brakes are catching but there not, I tried a bit get some oil in but it's the same.

At this point I decided to give the bearings a clean n grease but for some reason I can't get the ends off with the 5mm spanners in the axle holes. One end fits in fine while the other end of the axle wont take the 5mm spanner into the hole.I've not a clue why unless the hex has been damaged or chewed inside were the skewer goes in.

I don't want to use pliers as I'm pretty sure it will crush the alloy hole , has anyone any idea how I can get in to either clean or replace the bearings if one end wont take a 5mm allen key ?

Comments

• bing gordon
    bing gordon Posts: 662
    edited February 2016
    This has escalated into a major job,

The axle bar had totally utterly seized and with a lot of persuasion I managed to remove both bar and bearings but I have damaged the axle while doing so.

Can someone point me in the right direction as to were I can purchase just the axle center bar for a mavic ksyrium elite front wheel ? I the wheel is a 2011. I'm thinking the Part code is;- M40063 (part 99686101) I do have the serial no for the wheel off the bar code.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Shame it's not your rear wheel - I've got a broken hub from a rear wheel ... front wheel is still fine.
  • lol yeah swap job, those axle's are softer than butter. I've never had a problem with the front up till now so it's never been taken apart till I tried today