Good (and cheap) clipless pedals?

Lighttower
Lighttower Posts: 10
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
I bought a cheap pair of Shimano clipless road pedals (SPD-SL) and after a few months they are already worn off. Granted I was commuting in the city a lot and had to unclipp with one leg at every red light, but that was unexpected and I should be able to avoid the city traffic in the future.
What is your oppinion, should I buy a new pair of pedals of the same type and try to minimise unclipping or should I buy better pedals, if so which one would you recommend?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Exustar from Planet X at £9.99 - using them on the winter trainer commuter.

Keo compatible for cleats, bombproof, hold your cleats tighter than Keos, dirt cheap, look good, loads of spring tension adjustment settings, available in black: for a tenner it's a no brainier.

Only downside is that they are a tad heavy, but hey hi, they're a tenner.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Hi assume you mean the cleat on your shoe has worn down? Cant imagine there would be a problem with the pedals already.
    The cleats are fairly soft and if you unclip a lot, or walk any distance on them, they will wear down quickly.
    Only about £12 for a new set of cleats, I have to replace mine every couple of months which is no big problem.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    bsharp77 wrote:
    Hi assume you mean the cleat on your shoe has worn down? Cant imagine there would be a problem with the pedals already.
    The cleats are fairly soft and if you unclip a lot, or walk any distance on them, they will wear down quickly.
    Only about £12 for a new set of cleats, I have to replace mine every couple of months which is no big problem.

This as well - any cleats will wear out if you walk on them.

If you do have to walk on them how about getting some cleat covers from any of the usual suspects to use when walking?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Yes indeed - finally got around to it and ordered lifeline cleat covers from Wiggle-Reaction today for £3.50!
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    As bsharp said above, I assume you are talking about the cleats rather than the pedals themselves but, without wishing to pick the scab off the SPD / SPD SL argument again, you might want to consider using SPD pedals, cleats and shoes. IME the cleats wear better and the shoes are easier to walk on which is a real advantage if you have to go any distance after dismounting.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Thanks for the replies. I will try new cleats and I will definitely buy cleat covers. If that doesn't work we will see. :-)