How would you spend £2,666?

2»

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    just out of interest, have you thought about getting a cannondale slate?
  • WarrenG wrote:
    I had a moment of weakness and was honest with my wife so after some sensible, but one-sided, discussions we've decided to think long and hard about taking the money. I did show her the Slate and even she laughed. Some creative thinking is now required in order to end up with a brand new, but ultimately, pointless new bike (probably cyclocross)

If you were "honest" in the first place in buying the bikes that were stolen, the insurance money is for you to decide what happens with, whether it it is replacing your stolen bikes or doing something else with if that is a viable option.

If your wife bought a load of jewellery with your knowledge and it was later stolen, would you get a say in how the insurance money was used? ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    WarrenG wrote:
    I had a moment of weakness and was honest with my wife so after some sensible, but one-sided, discussions we've decided to think long and hard about taking the money. I did show her the Slate and even she laughed. Some creative thinking is now required in order to end up with a brand new, but ultimately, pointless new bike (probably cyclocross)

If your wife bought a load of jewellery with your knowledge and it was later stolen, would you get a say in how the insurance money was used? ;)

Yes, I'll try that. Then I'll sleep on the settee
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • WarrenG wrote:
    WarrenG wrote:

Yes, I'll try that. Then I'll sleep on the settee

You could get a nice settee for £2666 :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Can get a canyon aeroroad for £40 more....
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Can get a canyon aeroroad for £40 more....

Three years from now...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    I would spend £2000 on a nice carbon frame and forks and then with the rest of it i would adopt a devil may care attitude and do what ever i fancied.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    1 Cannondale Slate is what my friend the teacher would call "Normal for Norfolk" ie an inbred abhorrence
    2 I have an MTB and wish I had spent the money elsewhere. ..
    3 ...on a 'cross or gravel bike

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • cannondale Carbon synapse and a fat bike :D
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I would look at a nice Titanium frame that I would still be riding in a fair few years time - or a gt grade carbon 105 and find someway to liberate the rest of the cash to spend on the wife to maintain marital bliss
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    On titanium: If Wiggle have your size, Litespeed T5 Gravel frameset is now £1300. Lovely bit of kit. Mine below... Also Kinesis Tripster ATR, but there's an updated version (through axles, internal cable routing) coming at the end of May. If I hadn't have bought one, I'd have happily got the other.22498194560_be648d54e6_b.jpg
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • warreng
    My cack handed attempts at getting the cash out of the insurance company was interpreted by them as a hard-nosed negotiating stance - I managed to get £3000 cash out of them in the end. So I spent it on our family holiday in August

I feel worthy
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Excellent work!

Can't put a price on happy memories. Enjoy
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    coriordan wrote:
    Excellent work!

Can't put a price on happy memories. Enjoy

He kinda just did..... ;-)
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Decent result then!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • warreng
    StuAff wrote:
    Decent result then!

Yes! Very happy with it - and now will start saving for a hardtail MTB - possibly starting with a Ti frame. And also cash in a ride-to-work voucher for a winter trainer/commuter. Familial relations are now strong enough for me to vocalise this plan without fear of diplomatic repercussions

No Slate though. I'd love to ride one but not entirely what it does
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    WarrenG wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    Decent result then!

Yes! Very happy with it - and now will start saving for a hardtail MTB - possibly starting with a Ti frame. And also cash in a ride-to-work voucher for a winter trainer/commuter. Familial relations are now strong enough for me to vocalise this plan without fear of diplomatic repercussions

No Slate though. I'd love to ride one but not entirely what it does

Excellent result. Your wife will be so pleased when you tell her you got £2000 for the family holiday 8)

You can get some ride to work schemes that don't put a limit at £1k btw...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I think in recognition of an insurance company outflanked - the increase in payment of £334 should be ring fenced for cycling based indulgence