Decent (but cheap) front like recommendations.

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
My cheapy eBay front light has just packed in and as the evenings are getting lighter I want to replace it asap but with something relatively cheap but is bright enough for training on unlit roads and country lanes.

The light that just packed in was a Chinese built Cree XML-T6 thingy with a rechargeable battery, the amount of light it gave out was fine on dipped and would last for around 2 hours, on full beam it was very bright and only lasted up to an hour. What I didn't like was the fact that the low battery warning light would change colour with only 5 mins to go before total darkness, that's if it changed at all, I did get caught out a couple of times but luckily had a small back up light to get me home.

I have tried to get the Cree working again but there seems to be a lose connection somewhere and for the life of me after much messing about I cannot get it working again, so I think its time for the bin.

I am looking for a cheap front light to last me until the evenings get light again, would like a decent amount of light thrown out (1000 lumens?) and for it to be rechargeable, I would like to get slightly longer from the battery than the Cree if possible, up to 3 hours on dipped would be ideal, and I would like it to be cheap as I am going to spend a couple of hundred quid in the summer on a decent light, but just cant afford it right now, I am thinking below £50-£60.

I have found some on Planet X such as the below, but am wondering if there are any other alternatives that you would recommend.

Up to 5 hours run time on dipped
Alleged 1000 Lumens
£50
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIMSMJ858/ ... ycle-light

Up to 4 ours run time on medium beam
Alleged 1200 lumens
£40
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIMSMJ900/ ... ycle-light

Is there anything else I should be considering?
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    What about one of the Cree torch style lights, then you can carry some spare batteries with you.
  • JesseD
    Really wanted something rechargeable as I train 3-4 evenings a week for around 2hours a ride, plus I wanted to stay away from the ebay specials etc given my experience with the longevity of the one that has just packed in. Only bought it last year in around October, it was cheap mind at £18 so I cant grumble too much.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Re: Decent (but cheap) front like recommendations.

Jordan would be the obvious choice.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    I don't like giving recommendations without trying things myself, but I would say at the price you want to spend, wiggle's lifeline brand has a new 700 lumen front light which looks great.
    Lots of positive reviews on the site and a couple of mates have the lower lumen versions of the light and have nothing but good things to say, so I think it could be a good bet.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Spend a bit more and get an Exposure light.
  • bsharp77
    Would have recommended the Volt too, but its a bit dearer than the OPs budget.
    Ive just ordered a G-Volt 800 from bike-discount which is apparently a more road friendly beam version of the Volt 800.
    Will be interesting to see how it performs.
  • JesseD
    Rolf F wrote:
    Re: Decent (but cheap) front like recommendations.

Jordan would be the obvious choice.

HA HA :D
  • JesseD
    Some good recommendations here but cost is a major factor at the moment as I am also trying to buy parts to turn my bike into a race bike as well (plus pay for a wedding).

The Lifeline one from wiggle looks ok, no indication of burn/run times though, but for the price!!

I will spend more money come the end of the summer once I have more disposable cash (wedding is in July) and was looking at Exposure lights then, but for now the upper budget is going to be £50-£60 I am afraid :(
  • JesseD wrote:
    The Lifeline one from wiggle looks ok, no indication of burn/run times though, but for the price!!

It does - (High: 1hr 20min/Mid: 3hrs/Low: 8hrs/Flash: 12hrs)
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Cree torch and rubber lockblock mount. You can get some excellent torches well within your £50-60 budget, and then when you buy your dream light in the Summer, you'll still have a handy torch.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Cree torch and rubber lockblock mount. You can get some excellent torches well within your £50-60 budget, and then when you buy your dream light in the Summer, you'll still have a handy torch.
    I tried that once. Drove me nuts. The rubber lockblock meant that the torch wobbled about all over the place.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • That Magicshine MJ900 looks a neat little package and packs a bright punch too! Scroll down to "The light comparator" http://road.cc/content/review/143954-ma ... ront-light

Not a bad winter bundle, including the Jobsworth Night Cannon for £60 http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BN131JCANW ... ght-bundle

I bought a Cree off Ebay for ~£25 around Xmas 2012, while it worked it was great, but it became very temperamental (would suddenly turn off and then not turn back on again for some time). I stopped commuting by bike back in mid-October, partially because of not having a working front light, but I'm not sure I can cope with waiting another month or so to start using the Wazoo for work... So I shall be keeping an eye on this thread!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    This. Yes it's eBay but a renowned uk seller who is everything lights. Seen some great reviews

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/301848864913
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    bsharp77 wrote:
    Ive just ordered a G-Volt 800 from bike-discount which is apparently a more road friendly beam version of the Volt 800.

Can you post up a review for this light once you have used it as I would be interested to know how well the beam cut-off deflector works? Thanks in advance.
  • bsharp77
    DJ58 wrote:
    bsharp77 wrote:

Can you post up a review for this light once you have used it as I would be interested to know how well the beam cut-off deflector works? Thanks in advance.

Will do, yes very little info on the Volt G series (I guess as its only sold in Germany).
    Makes much more sense to have a road specific beam in my opinion - lets see what its like in real life - should arrive on Monday, so ill post some thoughts and photos asap.
  • http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lezy ... lsrc=aw.ds

Or this for the same price - slight compromise in lumens, but it comes with a spare battery that's handy for carrying on epic night rides. I've used mine for two years now and it's been on some pretty decent solo and bunch night rides, easily bright enough.