Shimano XTR Gear Cable Lube

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited February 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All

I have read about people having trouble greasing/oiling these gear cables, the lube seemed to react with the inner sheath making gear changes worse than they were before , but reading the Shimano description they use silicone grease, so will any silicone grease work ok or what other lubes work fine?

I'm using Shimano XTR gear cables http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod67788

Comments

• Just buy new outer, it comes lubed
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    yes replace the outer bits on your bike with some new shimano sp41 outer.

I like how the xtr cables are black so blend in for a stealth look against my black frame.
  • The cables have only been on 2-3 months old and I was thinking how wet every ride has been a bit of tlc would keep them working well :)
  • swod1
    the actual metal cable are lubed anyway with a ptfe type coating and plus the new outers should improve gear shifting.

when replacing gear cables you would usually run new outers as well did you not do this?
  • swod1 wrote:
    the actual metal cable are lubed anyway with a ptfe type coating and plus the new outers should improve gear shifting.

when replacing gear cables you would usually run new outers as well did you not do this?

Yes everything was new, I'm more along the lines of keeping them working well, rather than waiting for them to start playing up.
  • swod1
    iwilldoit wrote:
    swod1 wrote:

Yes everything was new, I'm more along the lines of keeping them working well, rather than waiting for them to start playing up.

Should be fine as long as you fitted the end caps on the bits of outers correctly to stop any mud getting into the cables, that's unless you are using a full run of outer for the gear cables where is wont matter so much.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    swod1 wrote:
    yes replace the outer bits on your bike with some new shimano sp41 outer.

I like how the xtr cables are black so blend in for a stealth look against my black frame.

Well buy some yellow ones and don't fit them and you will get the same effect.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • http://www.3654bikes.co.uk/shimano-spec ... -lube.html.
    I keep a pot of this in my toolbox at work and at home find it very good a little goes a long way too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    £20 for 50g, holy hell, does it have particles of unobtanium to help with the lubrication?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That sounds like my obvious.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The 50g bit?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools