Which mudguards

bontie
bontie Posts: 177
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
I am getting a road disc bike, with space for proper mudguards.

What guards can you recommend. I do not like the sks bluemels style guards with the adjustable length stays. I orefer a cleaner looks.
Currently considering pdw, but they are ehavy and expensive.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• pdw are not heavy. I saw some in the flesh at Condor yesterday, and they look great. Lightweight, stiff, decent mounts.
    OK expensive, but cheap mudguards are a pain in the ass
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Try vavert mudguards.Good strong and more discrete looking.Come in different widths.My black set is now on their bike and still no damage.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    pdw are not heavy. I saw some in the flesh at Condor yesterday, and they look great. Lightweight, stiff, decent mounts.
    OK expensive, but cheap mudguards are a pain in the ass

Totally agree with this ↑↑ I actually bought some PDWs to fit to my Allez but they were just too big (the bikes fault not the mudguards!). It was a real shame as they were by far the best quality mudguards that I have ever seen and worth every penny if they work for you and your bike.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Got some SKS longboards on mine. Had to bend some of the stays at the front due to the disc rotor/unit but they work really well. Cycled home from work the other night and it was chucking down. No spray whatsover. Strange arriving home nice and clean :)
  • deanflyer wrote:
    Got some SKS longboards on mine. Had to bend some of the stays at the front due to the disc rotor/unit but they work really well. Cycled home from work the other night and it was chucking down. No spray whatsover. Strange arriving home nice and clean :)

+1 for longboards, I have been using Chromoplastics for a few years but wanted longer guards and I think the longboards look better too as they are a true blank rather than the greyish black of the chromos.

I'd considered the PDW's, I like the look of them but the colour put me off, a personal thing obviously.
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    See, the long oards have the protruding adjustable support arms/ stays or whatever they are called that I don't like.
    Guess Ill have to bite the bullet and get the pdw's - they look solid and would probably last a long time anyway.

Thansk for all the replies.
  • bontie wrote:
    See, the long oards have the protruding adjustable support arms/ stays or whatever they are called that I don't like.
    Guess Ill have to bite the bullet and get the pdw's - they look solid and would probably last a long time anyway.

Thansk for all the replies.

Only if you can't be bothered to cut them to the correct length?
  • Got the SKS Longboards on my commuter, only just fitted a couple of days ago. You have to trim down the stays to get the fit right, a bit of patience and its not too bad a job, for £21 from CRC, I'm happy with them :)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • I use Crud but can only run 23mm tyres as there isn't enough clearance on my rear wheel. Very good coverage though so i can live with the 23's