Bang for the buck. Carbon bike under $4K?

twoniner
twoniner Posts: 19
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Avid mountain biker. I bought my first road bike. Emonda ALR4 to see if it's something I would like. And I love it. And I'm already wanting to jump up to a carbon bike. Narrowed it down to the Giant TCR Advanced Pro1 and the Specialized Tarmac Expert. Also looking at the Cannondale SuperSix Evo and the Scott Addict. All in the 3-4K price range , all sport Ultegra but the Giant is the only one with carbon wheels and it is the cheapest (which makes no sense to me) makes me think the giant is sub-par.? Why would you get a better bike for less money? On paper I don't see why anyone would buy anything but the Giant. But I'm still new to the road tech. I would appreciate any advice on this topic.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    $4k - so that's about £2750.

For that sort of money over here I'd be wanting Dura Ace I think. If you like the Emonda ALR so much, have you not considered the Emonda SL8? I have ridden one and it is a lovely bike although I'd want to upgrade the wheels.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Giant always offer good value for money They are the biggest manufacturer in the world and generally, sure high quality parts over a period of a few years and then come out with their own versions. Not sub par in any way.
  • One of the direct retailers - for 'bang for buck' they are by far superior as you don't have to pay middle-men and their markup.

So Canyon or Rose...
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • dstev55
    Dodger747 wrote:
    One of the direct retailers - for 'bang for buck' they are by far superior as you don't have to pay middle-men and their markup.

So Canyon or Rose...

Assuming he is in the US then that puts Canyon out the picture.
  • My money would go to the TCR Advanced Pro 1. New frame + new carbon wheels + full ultegra for $3200 USD MSRP. How can you go wrong with that.
  • dstev55 wrote:

For that sort of money over here I'd be wanting Dura Ace I think. If you like the Emonda ALR so much, have you not considered the Emonda SL8? I have ridden one and it is a lovely bike although I'd want to upgrade the wheels.

Was actually thinking about the SL8 but after putting carbon wheels you are up around 6k. Not sure I want to get in that deep... But then again every time I try to save money I end up spending more!! Haha
  • twoniner
    twoniner Posts: 19
    edited February 2016
    DonBoogie wrote:
    My money would go to the TCR Advanced Pro 1. New frame + new carbon wheels + full ultegra for $3200 USD MSRP. How can you go wrong with that.

Ya On paper I don't see how you can go wrong on this bike. I just don't know much bout Giant. I just know I don't like their 29er mountain bikes cuz the chain stay is way too long and they handle like crap. So think it just put a bad taste in my mouth. But I'm sure road is a whole different ball game.
  • izza wrote:
    Giant always offer good value for money They are the biggest manufacturer in the world and generally, sure high quality parts over a period of a few years and then come out with their own versions. Not sub par in any way.

Heard that from a few people. The Pro1 does look like very good quality from what I can tell.
  • dstev55
    twoniner wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:

Was actually thinking about the SL8 but after putting carbon wheels you are up around 6k. Not sure I want to get in that deep... But then again every time I try to save money I end up spending more!! Haha

No need for carbon wheels, plenty of good aluminium sets over here for £300-£400 that would be a huge improvement over the stockies.

But as others have said, the Giants are great value for money, especially with their new wheels that come with a lot of the models. I wouldn't worry about their quality, a third of the carbon frames you see on road bikes are made by Giant!
  • dstev55 wrote:
    twoniner wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:

No need for carbon wheels, plenty of good aluminium sets over here for £300-£400 that would be a huge improvement over the stockies.

But as others have said, the Giants are great value for money, especially with their new wheels that come with a lot of the models. I wouldn't worry about their quality, a third of the carbon frames you see on road bikes are made by Giant!

I know I don't NEED carbon wheels. Just I just love the way it sounds! Hahaha. All signs are pointing to the Giant. I don't know why I just always thought of them as a lesser brand. But from what you guys say that doesn't seem to be the case.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    DonBoogie wrote:
    My money would go to the TCR Advanced Pro 1. New frame + new carbon wheels + full ultegra for $3200 USD MSRP. How can you go wrong with that.

Well if it doesn't fit him......

Identify a few, test ride them, pick the one that rides the best and you get most enjoyment out of. Go for quality frame over quality group set. No point buying a wibbly wobbly cheap frame that handles like a bowl of porridge just cos it has Durace on it
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • IC. wrote:
    DonBoogie wrote:

Well if it doesn't fit him......

Identify a few, test ride them, pick the one that rides the best and you get most enjoyment out of. Go for quality frame over quality group set. No point buying a wibbly wobbly cheap frame that handles like a bowl of porridge just cos it has Durace on it

I'm definitely worried bout the frame quality of the giant. I have had treks for a long time and I trust them and have seen the quality. I hear a lot of claims that giant makes their frames as well as others... But I have researched this and still yet to see proof...? I heard it's more that they are made "under the same roof" not necessarily that Giant MAKES treks frames.. I still would like clarification on this.?
  • dstev55
    Why don't you go to a shop and take a look at one?

I for one consider Giant quality to be the equal of the likes of Trek, Specialized etc.

If you're REALLY that worried about frame quality then why not save a bit more and get a Trek Emonda SLR as they are made in your fine country as opposed to the SL being made in Taiwan.
  • twoniner wrote:
    I'm definitely worried bout the frame quality of the giant. I have had treks for a long time and I trust them and have seen the quality. I hear a lot of claims that giant makes their frames as well as others... But I have researched this and still yet to see proof...? I heard it's more that they are made "under the same roof" not necessarily that Giant MAKES treks frames.. I still would like clarification on this.?

This should help...

http://inrng.com/who-makes-what/
    http://inrng.com/2012/02/who-made-your-bike/

Not entirely sure what you mean by made under the same roof, but if it's produced in Giant's factory for example, it is made by Giant.
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m6b65s25p6 ... FRAME-2015

Or, that, Sram etap, some nice wheels and decent finishing kit.

So that's £750. Etap about £1100. That leaves almost a grand for wheels, tyres and finishing kit. Say £750 on wheels. etc
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m6b65s25p6646/CANNONDALE-SUPERSIX-EVO-HI-MOD-FRAME-2015

So that's £750. Etap about £1100. That leaves almost a grand for wheels, tyres and finishing kit. Say £750 on wheels. etc

Excellent suggestion. That frame really is unbelievable value.
  • dstev55 wrote:
    Why don't you go to a shop and take a look at one?

I for one consider Giant quality to be the equal of the likes of Trek, Specialized etc.

If you're REALLY that worried about frame quality then why not save a bit more and get a Trek Emonda SLR as they are made in your fine country as opposed to the SL being made in Taiwan.

Actually. Good idea. Thanks

• The Evo has been makin it's way up my list. Seems to have great reviews and few of you have suggested it. Gunna go see one today and test ride it. Thanks!
  • twoniner wrote:

The Evo has been makin it's way up my list. Seems to have great reviews and few of you have suggested it. Gunna go see one today and test ride it. Thanks!

I'd definitely go the Hi Mod frameset route if you can. Even if you don't want eTap you can still have Dura Ace or even DI2 for £1k. Then wheels etc. Honest, you won't beat that on spec.
  • Test ride the Giant today and I didn't noticed much if any difference from the tiagra on my trek to ultegra components but that giant frame is definitely a quality frame! Super stiff and responsive with lots of confidence. I really like it. You guys were right. Going to ride the SuperSix Evo on Saturday.
  • dstev55
    twoniner wrote:
    Test ride the Giant today and I didn't noticed much if any difference from the tiagra on my trek to ultegra components but that giant frame is definitely a quality frame! Super stiff and responsive with lots of confidence. I really like it. You guys were right. Going to ride the SuperSix Evo on Saturday.

Didn't notice much differance between Tiagra and Ultegra? Really? :o

Glad you like the frame though.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814

A four wheeled bicycle ? Interesting concept but think of the increased chances of a puncture !
  • dstev55 wrote:
    twoniner wrote:
    Test ride the Giant today and I didn't noticed much if any difference from the tiagra on my trek to ultegra components but that giant frame is definitely a quality frame! Super stiff and responsive with lots of confidence. I really like it. You guys were right. Going to ride the SuperSix Evo on Saturday.

Didn't notice much differance between Tiagra and Ultegra? Really? :o

Glad you like the frame though.

Did a 2nd ride ya noticed a difference with ultegra but not huge. Then I rode a Tarmac... I think I like it better then the Giant...
  • Did you ride a 'Six?
  • I'm not entirely convinced that a test ride tells you anything more than the quality of the tires and the saddle.
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • Ok i have it narrowed down but my local cannonade shop said they might be doing 10-15% off. Is there a huge difference between the Evo and the Hi-Mod Evo? Hi-mod ultegra is $4260 and 15% would get me around $3600 which is doable. Then my local Specialized shop is dropping the Tarmac Expert from 3700$ to $3000. And i still like the giant TCR pro1 at 3200$ with carbon wheels. I so lost in the road bike world... I know mtn bikes inside and out but this is a whole new world to me... help me out here!!!??? haha
    -Tarmac Expert
    -SuperSix Evo standard or hi-mod
    -Giant TCR Pro1

what would you buy??? honestly i like them all lol
  • Did you ride a 'Six?

I rode the evo 105. i really liked it. I can get the eve ultegra 3 for around $2600 or the hi mod for around $3600.. worth the extra $1000?
  • Dodger747 wrote:
    I'm not entirely convinced that a test ride tells you anything more than the quality of the tires and the saddle.

yah thats pretty much how i felt haha
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m6b65s25p6646/CANNONDALE-SUPERSIX-EVO-HI-MOD-FRAME-2015

That is a ridiculously good frame for that price.