Rock Rider or Fuji Nevada

ianj37
ianj37 Posts: 6
edited February 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hello

I'd appreciate some guidance on which of these two bikes sounds the most suitable for me, assuming that both are equally comfortable to ride:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-560-mountain-bike-275-id_8336092.html @ £450
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/nevada-275-11-2016-mountain-bike-ec120547#features @ £524

I'm 63 years old, weigh 13 stone and intend to use the bike on the tracks and trails around the Peak District, no racing, jumping or anything like that! I intend to transport the bike inside my Ford Focus so 27.5 wheels seem ideal.
Decathlon determined that I need a 21" frame and I've tried the Rockrider which is comfortable to ride and fits in my car with the front wheel removed, the Fuji is arriving at Evans some time this week for a test ride.
I know nothing about mountain bikes but I've seen in the reviews on this site that the Fuji in version 1.0 only got a 2 star review and the Rockriders in general seem well regarded. However, the spec on the Fuji has changed since it was reviewed here and as far as I can see seems to have components (gears, brakes tyres) that individually get better reviews in general (both bikes now have the same frame) but at the end of the day what do I know!
The Fuji may be heavier but as Evans don't give the size against the weight that's a bit of an unknown. I know the Go Outdoors Calibre 2.2 is well regarded but it's not available in a 21" frame (I've been and tried one and a 20" frame isn't comfortable).

So what do you think?

Thanks for looking at this and for any guidance you can offer.
Ian

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Rockrider is probably slightly better value but with the discount the Fuji is pretty decent.

Forks are about the same on both, but in my opinion, the important parts on the Fuji are a step up. I prefer Shimano bits anyway, but Deore front mech is better than Altus, XT rear better than X7, which is roughly Deore level, and Octolink BB on the Fuji is probably better than the square taper on the RR, although crankset also comes in Isis (the site isn't specific.)
    Shimano brakes would also be my preference.

Both would do the job, and at £75 difference, I would probably pick the Fuji.

Others may differ.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Have you tried a 20" Voodoo Bizango for size? The ETT is 630mm, apparently, very close to a 21" Fuji Nevada.
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... ntain-bike

With the current 10% off Voodoo bikes sale, £540 for a bike that has been winning awards for several years is great value. When I saw one in the flesh for the first time while trying and then buying an 18" Voodoo Wazoo last week, I very nearly asked to try it and abandon the idea of a fat bike.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Thanks for the advice, I'm very grateful.

I like the idea of the Voodoo but strangely they don't do a 21" frame, only 20" and 22". Tried both and not really as comfortable as the Fuji so decision made!

Ian