Replacement drivetrain for Single Speed

annoyingtwit
annoyingtwit Posts: 127
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
I have a Viking Trekking single speed. At the time I bought it, I didn't expect to use it for anything more than short commutes. However, I've ended up using it for intercity rides, triathlons, and on Saturday my first Audax. The bike is only about three years old but it has been VERY HEAVILY used, and looks a lot older.

In hindsight I probably should have bought a better bike in the first place. However, being the kind of person I am I have this bike and hence will use it.

Over time I hope to slowly upgrade it as bits wear out. Again in hindsight the brakes should have been replaced a long time ago. With higher quality replacing lower quality (unbranded) and new replacing shagged out, there has really been a huge improvement.

I've been thinking for a while that I should pre-emptively replace the drivetrain. I haven't looked after it as well as I should and have run it on too low amounts of grease/oil, resulting in visible chain rust, etc. Given the thousands of miles I have done on it, the teeth look in surprisingly good nick. I'm pretty sure the chain is stretched as the wheel need to go quite near the end of the dropouts in order to tension the chain. (If the chain isn't tensioned properly, it jumps off the freewheel). Removing a link or two from the chain is mechanically beyond me.

I'm aware of advice that all of the chainring, freewheel, and chain should be replaced together. So, I'm looking at doing that. I'm not sure about replacing the whole crankset. I'd want something of at least reasonably quality as it looks as if my bike will get more and more use in the future. But, I'm not sure about buying top flight stuff where a single item will cost more than the entire bike.

I've read positive reviews of KMC chains on here. This KMC single speed chain looks suspiciously cheap: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-KMC010-S ... SwdvpWDyre Surely it can't be good for that price?

For freewheels, I'm not sure about going for a Dicta. Reviews are mixed. I notice that branded alternatives include Sturmley Archer http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sturmey-Arche ... Sw3KFWdAXp and Shimano http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-MX30- ... SwT~9Wij6i The Shimano doesn't actually look all that good, and is described as being for BMX as well as single speed.

For a replacement chainring, I'm not sure. My bike has a five bolt chainring, but I'm not sure if chainrings vary the diameter of the bolts so that not all five bolt chainrings are interchangeable. I'm not sure if I just use a regular chainring, or if I have to use a single speed one. These Velo chainrings have different 'BCD' lengths, which I presume is the diameter of the centres of the bolt holes from the centre of the crank. Would it be? They are more expensive than Stronglight (e.g.) chainrings, but are these good quality? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VeloSolo-CNC- ... 6OuV6YkcHg

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm unlikely to immediately upgrade as of before the weekend etc. But, I am aware of the roadmile age of my chain and freewheel in particular, and would prefer to change them at some point.

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I feel you should probably entrust this to your local bike shop; if you're not comfortable removing links from a chain, you will struggle to fit a new one, never mind the other components. If your chainring, chain and freewheel all need replacing, you should probably have someone look at the BB and headset as well.
  • annoyingtwit
    annoyingtwit Posts: 127
    edited February 2016
    EDIT: Duplicate.
  • 964Cup wrote:
    I feel you should probably entrust this to your local bike shop; if you're not comfortable removing links from a chain, you will struggle to fit a new one, never mind the other components. If your chainring, chain and freewheel all need replacing, you should probably have someone look at the BB and headset as well.

Yes, I was planning to buy the bits, and then pay a shop to fit them. If I do this in Halfords, I can order the bits from their website, and pay for fitting on collection.

I'm not sure that my drive-train needs replacing, over and above a possibly stretched chain. I may be being paranoid.

My main question is what bits to add. One of my local stores seems quite keen on fitting no-brand bits and seems surprised when I ask for branded ones. Despite their national reputation, I find the local Halfords quite good for repairs and fitting.
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    I'm happy using non branded stuff on my single speed, it's going to get used in all conditions and wear out anyway.

You can save more money looking up how to do stuff, there are loads of good video tutorials.
  • Thanks. Perhaps I should have put this in Workshop instead of Road Buying Advice.

I've got another bike that is less mission critical. I'm going to use its warped rear wheel to practice truing wheels. I can't learn everything at once.

From a quick google, it seems that I can tell how worn my chain is from the length of 12 links. It should be 304.8mm. Anything over 308mm is a worn chain that needs to be replaced. It seems that there is much mystery concerning bottom brackets and whether they should be replaced, with many noises that appear to be coming from the bottom bracket actually coming from elsewhere. Though, I can't see any play in the BB neither are there any odd sounds or feels when riding.

In terms of branded goods. My new front brakes are much better than the old ones. And, I can buy replacement springs.
  • It does not matter nearly so much with a singlespeed drivetrain that you replace everything at once. KMC chains are good - don't let the cheap price put you off - and BMX freewheels are fine (make sure that if you use a 1/8 freewheel that you also use a 1/8 chain). The Stronglight Dural chainrings are quite cheap but I've read the longevity is poor - go on eBay and get a Shimano or similar, they're decent quality and last a good while. If you don't know the PCD of your chainset, google a guide to measuring it, it's not hard.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I've read positive reviews of KMC chains on here. This KMC single speed chain looks suspiciously cheap: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-KMC010-S ... SwdvpWDyre Surely it can't be good for that price?

That's overpriced. They're under £3 on ribble. They are perfect - I've had several and done many thousands of miles on them without issue.

The work you're trying to do is pretty basic and really shouldn't need a bike shop. Maybe if you post your location someone in your area might be able to help you out.

Your chainring is probably 130BCD. Brev chainrings aren't the best around but they're very cheap (£12) and will do the job just fine - I've had a few of them.
  • It does not matter nearly so much with a singlespeed drivetrain that you replace everything at once. KMC chains are good - don't let the cheap price put you off - and BMX freewheels are fine (make sure that if you use a 1/8 freewheel that you also use a 1/8 chain). The Stronglight Dural chainrings are quite cheap but I've read the longevity is poor - go on eBay and get a Shimano or similar, they're decent quality and last a good while. If you don't know the PCD of your chainset, google a guide to measuring it, it's not hard.

You've convinced me. I can see nothing to suggest that the chainring or even the freewheel really need replacing. So, I'll just replace the chain.

@pastryboy - they are cheaper on Ribble, but the postage equalises the price. And I can get the ebay chain sent to Argos for pickup which is more convenient. If I can think of other things to buy from Ribble, then I might be able to ameliorate the postage, depending on how their postage charges work.

Of course, buying a chain tool might be the way to go. That way I could learn to put the chain on myself. I don't want to do that just before a long ride, however.

EDIT: There's a guy who turns up at my workplace and does free bicycle maintenance and simple repairs. I wonder if he'd change the chain if I had one. The last two times I saw him I was run off my feet, but if I find out when he's coming next, perhaps I could ask.

EDIT: I've just ordered a chain (KMC) and a chain tool (Topeak)