The woes of a Shimano Owner...

bandyquill
bandyquill Posts: 8
edited February 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All, first post... probably one of many to come...

A little back story to start with...

So after a few drinks a friend suggested i should go out Cycling with them, i agreed, not owning a bike for over 10 years it was suggested i rent one for the trip out... i didnt like this idea, and after looking at plenty of garbage on ebay and gumtree went to my local bike shop and parted with enough cash to find myself with a new, shiny and red Fuji Nevada 1.5 29er... and very happy about it was too... http://archive.fujibikes.com/archivebikes.php?prodid=3507&prodname=Nevada%2029%201.5

so i went out that weekend and tackled the Sutton Bank red route after 10 years of not cycling, it was tough, but rekindled my love of mountain biking...

a few weeks later we went out again to Dalby Forest, and tackled the Red Route again, brilliant, im an expert, so went to the skills park and as quick as a flash fell off and fractured my collar bone... idiot...

and here we are at today, went out at the weekend to Stainburn to go round a few trails that were much more difficult to what we are used to, not all red routes are created equal... my rear deraileur failed, it stopped keeping chain taught and started trying to push towards the crank... bad idea... back to the car to diagnose as fubard...

new Deore 10speed deraileur ordered, no one thought to mention in the shop the 9 speed has different spacing to the 10 i had bought, so now im looking to upgrade to 10 speed rear crank as its looking a bit rough already, and im looking for some advise on the following parts to see if they will actually work together...

the already fitted derailleur
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/deore-m615-10-speed-shadow-rear-derailleur-ec057610

Shimano Deore HG54 10 Speed Chain - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-hg54-10-speed-chain/rp-prod106557
Shimano Deore HG50 10 Speed MTB Cassette - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-hg50-10-speed-mtb-cassette/rp-prod124932
Shimano Zee M640 1x10sp Trigger Shifter - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-zee-m640-1x10sp-trigger-shifter/rp-prod82432

Comments

• Just buy a 9, 10 speed is not an upgrade really. Also why is it Shimano's fault?
  • we only really go out doing downhill and single track, so eventually will be moving towards 1x10 in the future... and the shadow plus kit gets some really good reviews, and not available at a sensible price for 9 speed.

I'm not blaming shimano, id have put the same if SRAM...
  • It is actually not available off the shelf for 9 speed, never had the need for it myself.

It's not going 10 spd, it's gone 11!
  • So would the above parts all work together, I've got the required tools etc to fit, but don't want to be spending even more on this XD
  • Yes that wil work in a single front ring setup.

Have you got the GS mech? If not I'd just stick to 9 speed. And that lot is bargain basement cassette and chain and shifter to some degree and not really a step forward.
  • Im not looking to spend a fortune on parts, just heading towards a decent upgrade path...

Gas mech? The top link in which case yes...
  • Not convinced it is any upgrade. Are you going single front ring? Either way are your brake and gear levers separate. I really would just get a 9 speed mech and worry later when more's worn out?
  • I plan on moving to single front in the future but not straight away... It was meant to be a relatively cheap hobby, that backfired somewhat

Brakes and gears are separate so that shouldn't be an issue...
  • It can be. Get a 9 spd mech, rag it, buy a deore or zee or slx group once more is shagged
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I manage quite well with 1x9 using a NW ring and a standard mech.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Any suggestions on higher spec kit considering I already have the 10speed deraileur fitted, so just cassette chain and shifter? Not bank breaking!
  • It my be fitted but it doesn't actually work!

Slx cassette, kmc x something chain and a deore, zee or slx shifter. Can't see it is worth it though still.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    sounds like it cant have been a decent bike shop if they sold you a 10speed rear mech when your bike has 9 gears?

Is the other parts on your bike actually worn as take the 10spd mech off put on a 9 speed mech and ride the bike, too much messing around replacing all the other parts to 10speed if its not needed.

Save the new 10speed mech for when the other parts are worn out and then move to 10speed.
  • The chain will need replacing as it was trailing for a while till I got it back to the car and I'd need to buy another deraileur for the rear, I've already replaced the shift cables as the ones that came fitted were all frayed at the ends and had less than 1cm excess on the ends (looked to be cut too short)

For the price of swapping out most of the rear end I'm not too fussed about the price difference for the reassurance this shouldn't happen in another 50 miles time
  • It's more about adjustment than what's fitted to stop it happening again. Good quality does not mean it won't happen, well setup means it probably won't happen again. Highly unlikely you'll need a new chain.
  • What about a warranty claim?? You said this all happened within a few weeks. Most bikes have a 2 -3 year warranty..
    Stay positive people :)
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    As it happened within a few weeks of buying the bike its more likely to be as mentioned adjustment of the rear mech wasn't done correctly on the bike when it was built and after a few weeks of riding the gear cables stretch so you have to tweak the gear indexing again anyway.

the chain probably wasn't joined correctly for the reason why it came apart as never liked the shimano joining pins too much messing about over the kmc quick links.