Wheelset advice

shimanobottombracket
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Im planning on buying some fancy wheels. What I dont want is a repeat experience of my current wheels which have fundamentally shit bearings. I need the wheels to be robust. Havent had any issues with my Mavic Aksiums on my old commuter so Im looking to stick with Mavic. Something like these is what im after. Only with this particular example im a bit put off by carbon rims, or at least carbon brake tracks. Have read that they can fail if your long and hard on the brakes.

Are there any other recommendations/advice on nice wheels that wont fail or wear out quickly?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Questions:
    What type of rider are you?
    What type of riding do you want them for?
    What wheels did you have before and what was wrong with the bearings?
    What's your budget?
  • Casual rider looking for a nice set of wheels. I dont race or do time trials but I do like pushing hard when im out on my nice bike. Should have mentioned im aiming to spend around 500 to 600 quid so should be able to get something decent for that. I do occasionally do very hilly rides so I really dont want any issues involving braking. The bearings on my current wheels wear out very quickly which from what I have read is due to them being too small to cope as well as other wheels do. So strength is a priority for me.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    They will only fail if you don't know how to brake properly. Anyhow, that s all to do with carbon clinchers - carbon tubular a with carbon braking surfaces seem to be pretty foolproof.

How about Carbonzone/Planet X/myriad of same same but differents?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Looks like it's time for this week's 'what wheels' thread....
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Im planning on buying some fancy wheels. What I dont want is a repeat experience of my current wheels which have fundamentally shoot bearings. I need the wheels to be robust. Havent had any issues with my Mavic Aksiums on my old commuter so Im looking to stick with Mavic.......... Only with this particular example im a bit put off by carbon rims, or at least carbon brake tracks. Have read that they can fail if your long and hard on the brakes.

Are there any other recommendations/advice on nice wheels that wont fail or wear out quickly?

those Mavic wheels you ve linked too do not have carbon brake track, they are an alloy rim with a carbon fairing.

a Mavic wheel with a carbon rim is 3 or 4x the price but there are loads of Mavic and other makes at that price range, Fulcrum make decent wheels too.
    But as with all factory makes, spares can be expensive or hard to get, Mavic are probably the best in that regard.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If you base your choices on what you hear on the web then you will have alot of false wisdom.

Not all carbon clinchers are equal. Carbon clinchers have come a long way in the last few years. In the U.K the terrain just is not going to challange a decent set.

tubulars are ace no reason at all not to use them all year round.

What ever you get if you go for clinchers get a tubeless compatible rim/wheels and run tubeless tyres.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.