Thinking of selling my Roubaix

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi, I have a Spec Roubaiz Compact Sport 2014, its just over a year old done around 3000km and serviced by Spec, think its been in 3 times thus far for service. Has minor scuffs as you'd expect from being ridden, nothing nasty.

I've been tempted by the Tarmac 2015 in all black which is reduced as its now last years model, I'll be honest a massive part of the draw is on the all black paintwork.

I am trying to figure out what my Roubaix may be worth on the market, am I unrealistic in thinking I could get £800?

I know its very hard to say a second hand price but wondering what kind of ballpark I'm in, like defo would sell at £xxx if your lucky could get £xxx

More importantly I should be asking, would the Tarmac be much of an upgrade, I know both have 105's but the tarmac has the new 11 speed.

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Look on eBay to see what similar models have sold for. What price can you get a 105 Roubaix for new? What condition is it in (for me buying a second hand bike I would be more interested in wear to cassette, chain, chainrings, wheel rims than the odd superficial scratch on the frame).

Tarmac less of an "upgrade" and more of a different style of bike I think - racier geometry, a bit stiffer, less of a mile-muncher (if you believe the marketing anyway). The top of the range version of both frames has been ridden at the top level.

I guess 11 speed is an upgrade, if nothing else it is the latest product. In reality I don't think it makes a massive difference to 10 speed, but does allow some wider or closer spaced cassette ratios plus makes switching between Shimano / SRAM and Campag easier.
  • jpower
    After some torturous reading last night, I think I am being selling, I do longish rides some sportives and the road surfaces around be are pretty damn bad, I think the Roubaix is actually the right choice for the conditions. I don't ever see myself getting to any race stages, would love to, but never gonna happen. Oh more importantly the bike been superb hardly ever feel fatigue or aches, so why spoil that now.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,983
    Figure out the absolute minimum that you would sell it for after expenses.
    Put it on Ebay at auction over that price. If it doesn't sell, keep it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    jpower wrote:
    After some torturous reading last night, I think I am being selling, I do longish rides some sportives and the road surfaces around be are pretty damn bad, I think the Roubaix is actually the right choice for the conditions. I don't ever see myself getting to any race stages, would love to, but never gonna happen. Oh more importantly the bike been superb hardly ever feel fatigue or aches, so why spoil that now.

I actually think thats the right decision. From what I see the tarmac and Roubaix are quite different in their geometry and you might not be comfortable on the tarmac. I doubt you would find it much of an upgrade. Better to spend any spare cash on nice tyres, wheels or cycling holiday.
  • jpower
    Calpol wrote:
    jpower wrote:

I actually think thats the right decision. From what I see the tarmac and Roubaix are quite different in their geometry and you might not be comfortable on the tarmac. I doubt you would find it much of an upgrade. Better to spend any spare cash on nice tyres, wheels or cycling holiday.
    cycling holiday now that sounds nice.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    jpower wrote:
    Calpol wrote:
    jpower wrote:

cycling holiday now that sounds nice.

Of course it sounds nice, cycling holidays are nice, in fact they are great!
    There is nothing to distract you from cycling and you generally get decent weather, nice food, a beer or three, and distraction free time to sort bike/kit for the next day.

So what are your real world plans for this cycling holiday you are now going on rather than buying a bike etc?

Going alone?
    Family going?
    A package with strangers?
    Ask friends if they want to squeeze (both time wise and financially) one in this year?
    Buying or hiring a bike box?

Not sure what you would get for the Roubaix, but I would try to keep it as a second/winter bike if you hanker after something sporty.

11 speed is a big upgrade IMO. It has an extra sprocket and its much nicer to use.
    How about an Ultegra 6800 groupset and new wheels for the Roubaix?

If you do keep the Roubaix as a winter bike you will then have something to donate the 5800 to when you upgrade the new bike to 6800 further down the line.
  • jpower
    As great as all that sounds, I was thinking that the sale of the Roubaix would pay for most of the tarmac as it was a sale 2015 model at £989 so don't think I really saved enough to switch it out for a holiday. Although would really love to do one of those, with friends is unlikely afraid my friends don't manage enough km and rather not hearing moaning every km :-)

Besides I've recently moved and have found myself spending on items I never thought I would have too, so think I'll have to keep this one in the bank.

Ideally speaking yes would love to keep the bike as a second or winter and buy something else but I think that's going to have to wait a while.

Onwards and upwards.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    jpower wrote:
    After some torturous reading last night, I think I am being [silly?], I do longish rides some sportives and the road surfaces around be are pretty damn bad, I think the Roubaix is actually the right choice for the conditions. I don't ever see myself getting to any race stages, would love to, but never gonna happen. Oh more importantly the bike been superb hardly ever feel fatigue or aches, so why spoil that now.

I think this is the common sense answer. As stated above, the Roubaix and Tarmac are fairly even in terms of where they sit in the tree, particularly the more common versions. Moving to 11 speed may seem to be a great thing to do but, in reality, offers very little extra particularly if your current groupset has been set up correctly. FWIW, I still ride 9 speed and rarely find myself running out of gears or suffering from huge gaps (compact with 12-27 works good for me).

Why not just wait a little while for the weather to improve and then make sure you have got all the basic upgrades covered? So, if you haven't already, get some nice tyres in 25mm (GP4000sII, etc.) and a great set of handbuilts/factory wheels for £350+ish.
  • jpower
    I got myself some Zonda wheels last year, seem alot better then stock, I did try some cheaper carbon aero rims but seemed more of a drag. Tyres I'm running michelin service course however I got a feeling I may have to move to the Endurance range as roads look alot worse in my new area (Chilterns).

Is there much diff between Michelin SC and the GP4000's?

One thing about the SC tyre I'm glad to say I've not had to repair on a ride but damn they are so damn tight fit, I fear ha in to change them out on a ride.

To make things worse ive chickened out from the colder weather as I had room in the new place for a spin bike, I know it's not the same but I get to use it alot more and hoping it keeps the legs turning till the good times.