Weather in Majorca

Kangars
Kangars Posts: 34
edited April 2016 in Tour & expedition
Hi, ive had some great advices last year before going to Tenerife so i though ill gather some info from ehre again.

We are off to Majorca at the end of April and was wondering whats the weather is like? Is it still chilly? worth taking waterproof, gloves, base layer, arm warmers? We are staying in Alcudia and will be doing few mountain ride (Sa Calobra, Col de Soller).

Also what else would you recommend? Planning to visit lighthouse so we have 2 spare days and cant decide. Drop to the middle of the island? go East?

Thanks for your advices!

Comments

• Kangars wrote:
    Hi, ive had some great advices last year before going to Tenerife so i though ill gather some info from ehre again.

We are off to Majorca at the end of April and was wondering whats the weather is like? Is it still chilly? worth taking waterproof, gloves, base layer, arm warmers? We are staying in Alcudia and will be doing few mountain ride (Sa Calobra, Col de Soller).

Also what else would you recommend? Planning to visit lighthouse so we have 2 spare days and cant decide. Drop to the middle of the island? go East?

Thanks for your advices!

End of April can be a mixed bag. I've had it scorching hot, too hot to be comfortable cycling, then a few days later it being quite chilly where you really want arm warmers.

It's especially true early in the morning and in the evenings, I'd only taken one sweater and that got worn every evening! I also set out early on some rides and wished I had my arm warmers, but it got quite hot later in the ride!

As for the other rides, perhaps down the middle of the island through Petra and ending up doing the climb of Sant Salvador monastery just outside Felanitx?
  • what about mid march --going next month , seems like the rainy season ?
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    We went at Easter, 2014 (around the 14th of April) and stayed in Alcudia.

It was pretty much spot on for cycling, and if anything getting a touch on the hot side, rather than being a bit chilly. We went out in shorts and short sleeve jersey every day, with a thin waterproof in the saddlebag just incase. A couple of mornings we set off early and put a base layer under our jersey, but it was usually in the back pocket by 10am.

Off the top of my head, I think the max temperature we had was 26c.

https://snookcycling.wordpress.com/mallorca/
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    what about mid march --going next month , seems like the rainy season ?

I get out there most March's and likely will be this year. Would not say its "rainy season" but quite likely you will get some at some point, its possible but you would be very unlucky to get it most days. Normally cool to mid morning then pleasant till early evening, its usually short sleeves and arm warmers for me first thing, warm up on the climbs then ditch the warmers.
  • Great stuff, so looks like its worth packing arm warmers and base layer :)

I like the sound of Sant Salvador monastery and Puig Major/Soller routes! My mate wont be too happy about Puig Major since he isnt a massive fan on climbs :)
  • cheers solis --thats what i thought , will have shorts and sandals on as well .....we are staying in alcudia , we only have three full days of riding , so its trust to luck ---
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    I've been for a week mid March and a week mid April. every day has been well in to the twenties and had a grand total of about 2 minutes rain. If you're going in April be prepared to take arm and knee warmers. A base layer and a rain jacket will double as a cold weather wear, because it won't be that cold.

If you want an easy day San Salvador is lovely and Petra is a nice spot for dinner. There's Santa Magdalena monastery as well near Inca which is worth a visit, but not a long ride in itself. There's also the green route to Santa Maria which is pan flat. you can then head up to Bunyola and head back via Orient over the smaller cols.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Nice route ideas there! What if we swing by Inca and then head to San Salvador and back to Alcudia, looks relatively flat?

I think we are gonna do these: Lighthouse, Sa Calobra via Lluc monastery(read that descent back to Polenca is good), flat ride to Santa Maria, Puig Major and Soller via Caimari(Ma-2130) and San Salvador on the last day.
  • Kangars wrote:
    Nice route ideas there! What if we swing by Inca and then head to San Salvador and back to Alcudia, looks relatively flat?

Yeah that could work. Just keep in mind that while it's relatively flat, that's compared to the moutains, it's not actually flat flat by any means. And while the roads are ok for cycling they are the equivalent to UK A roads.
    I think we are gonna do these: Lighthouse, Sa Calobra via Lluc monastery(read that descent back to Polenca is good), flat ride to Santa Maria, Puig Major and Soller via Caimari(Ma-2130) and San Salvador on the last day.

Sounds like quite a schedule! A lot of those rides are quite hard, so I would try to mix it up a little. e.g. Cap de Formentor (lighthouse) is only 30 miles return from Port de Pollenca, I guess 40 from Alcudia, so put that in the middle as an 'easy' day.
  • We were thinking about lighthouse on a day 1, since we arrive early morning on monday so kind of break our legs a little bit and midweek aiming for a flat ride, stick it between sa calobra and soller and finish off with a flat ride.
    Maybe Puig Major is off limits, werent planning to climb all the way to it, just go pass it on the way to Soller.

How busy are those road? Not a big fan of A roads in UK, mainly stick to Bs
  • Kangars wrote:
    We were thinking about lighthouse on a day 1, since we arrive early morning on monday so kind of break our legs a little bit and midweek aiming for a flat ride, stick it between sa calobra and soller and finish off with a flat ride.
    Maybe Puig Major is off limits, werent planning to climb all the way to it, just go pass it on the way to Soller.

Not sure how you're getting between Sa Calobra and Soller without doing the Puig as that's the way?
    How busy are those road? Not a big fan of A roads in UK, mainly stick to Bs

Not massively busy at all, but the roads are laid out like A-roads.
  • Not sure how you're getting between Sa Calobra and Soller without doing the Puig as that's the way?

well sa calobra was going to be a separate ride.

I was thinking get to Caimari as its relatively flat to get there, go up Ma-2130, pass turn to Sa Calobra and head towards Puig but dont actually go all the way up to it (there is an climb from the main road according to strava) then drop down to Soller. Do Soller climb and drop down to Santa Maria and slowly head back to Alcudia.
  • Kangars wrote:
    I was thinking get to Caimari as its relatively flat to get there, go up Ma-2130

Yes! Bloody fantastic climb that. One of the best on the island and often overlooked.
    , pass turn to Sa Calobra and head towards Puig but dont actually go all the way up to it (there is an climb from the main road according to strava) then drop down to Soller. Do Soller climb and drop down to Santa Maria and slowly head back to Alcudia.

Ah right! When I say the Puig I didn't mean all the way to the top, I don't think there's even a tarmac road all the way to the top, I stand to be corrected, but basically Ma-10 to the Monnaber tunnel then descend into Soller.

One hell of a hard ride that one as you basically have to cross that mountain range twice, budget a full day and you're right not to try to tack Sa Calobra onto that, would be too much.
  • Yea Sa Calobra would be separate ride, Pollenca to Sa Calobra and back. Ive heard that descent back to Pollenca is pretty good.

Yea i looked at that climb and it looks very nice.

Thats the plan for now. I thought you mean all the way up to Puig. We do have all day, its only 2 of us so arent planning to do much else apart from cycling! thanks for the advice
  • Solis
    No access to Puig Major off Ma-10, its military - paved but only open an odd day a year to the public.

Climb from Caimari is cracking as is the Col de Soller on your way over to Santa Maria, your route only crosses the mountains once that way but its a great ride.

You heard right about the descent back to Pollenca from Lluc, you will enjoy that.

If you want an interesting little add on to your lighthouse ride, when you reach the car park/viewpoint on your way back (top of the first climb out of PP) hang a left and climb up to the watch tower.
  • durhamwasp
    Coll de sa Batalla is a beauty!

Puig Major, Coll de Soller are also beauties, as well as the obvious Sa Calobra and Formentor.

We also thought the Coll d'Honor was a little beauty too.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Solis wrote:
    No access to Puig Major off Ma-10, its military - paved but only open an odd day a year to the public.

Thanks for the info! I looked at Coll d'Honor but i think it would be too much since we still need to get back to Alcudia :) But maybe for another day.

Some great info and advice, thanks a lot!
  • durhamwasp
    Are you hiring a car? Check out our routes, we drove the bikes to Caimari and started by climbing up the Sa Batalla, then past the Calobra and up to Puig Major. We then descended down to Soller, had lunch, climbed out up the Coll de Soller, then the Coll d'Honor and back to Caimari. Beautiful route and total distance was 59 miles.

https://snookcycling.wordpress.com/mallorca/
  • We were planning on cycling to Caimari, looks like 13-A is right by the motorway and probably is quiet. Its about 28km from where we are staying and its pretty much flat if we take 13A and get off before Campanet and head towards Caimari that way. 28km at flat sounds like a good warm up before first climb.
    Unless 13-a is a no go road and is pretty busy.
  • Kangars wrote:
    We were planning on cycling to Caimari, looks like 13-A is right by the motorway and probably is quiet. Its about 28km from where we are staying and its pretty much flat if we take 13A and get off before Campanet and head towards Caimari that way. 28km at flat sounds like a good warm up before first climb.
    Unless 13-a is a no go road and is pretty busy.

The only road I would really avoid is the Ma-13 between Alcudia and the end of the motorway, as it can be quite busy. But by UK standards it's still a decent cycling road!
  • Yea planned to avoid that bit, going to head to Sa Pobla then cross motorway and head to Caimari. April cant come fast enough :(
  • Solis
    Kangars wrote:
    Yea planned to avoid that bit, going to head to Sa Pobla then cross motorway and head to Caimari. April cant come fast enough :(

Sa Pobla - Bugger - Campanet then Cami Selva would be my suggestion, nothing wrong with the road through Moscari but Cami Selva is nicer.
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    The Moscari road will have a cycling lane on it by then. (Probably).
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • to be honest i would like to take the flattest route i can to Caimari. Something to warm up before all the climbs.

We are going to take Cami de Muro back to Alcudia, looks like it goes along Ma-13 but much quieter.
  • is it compulsory to wear a helmet in malloreca and if so how rigoursly is it enforced?
  • Solis
    Yes it is and it does get enforced, you can probably get away with it around town and maybe out on the road if you are a local but its very rare to see anyone without one.
  • just back from a six day break based in alcudia-- twere great --the weather was mainly overcast but not to cold--it was dry most of the time , the only time we got caught out was on our longest and toughest day , when the mist descended on puig major and the wind got up making it minus temps with wind chill-- it was also late and pitch black by the time we got down to pollenca --we did some great rides , and with the positive attitude to cycling in mallorca you always felt safe in traffic--oh and the helmet law was not enforced , saw plenty of cops but nobody showed any concern that i was wearing a cap--interestingly the guy we hired the bikes off--a british hill climb champion , also rides without helmet.......like me he weighs up the pros and cons and decides its an acceptable risk with leisure riding
  • daviegb
    daviegb Posts: 126
    I had a week in Puerto Pollenca last April & did the following rides - if you have a car, the two rides from Palma were great (although I'd avoid starting & finishing in the town next time).

Day One - Formentor
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/757593536

Day Two - Tramuntana Loop
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/758605602

Day Three - Palma Loop
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/759412634

Day Four - Sa Calobra (stop for lunch in Cala Tuent, a great restaurant & very quiet)
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/760299467

Day Five - Reverse Tramuntana Loop
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/761204139

Day Six - Alternative Palma Loop
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/762118939

Day Seven - Sineu, Arta, Petra Loop
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/762824760

Feel free to use any of the routes - have a great time while you're there!
  • Kangars
    Kangars Posts: 34
    Great routes, i will give it proper look! We wont bother with car but some look good already!

@dylanfernley

ah shame abotu weather but i bet it was nicer than here :) 4 weeks to go, excited!

One more question is there anywhere to eat at the top of soller or around? we fancy doing climb before eating, but not sure if there is anything available.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    End of April should be lovely. Any weather system should clear in 1-2 days. That time of the year even rainy days are not too bad and unless it really buckets down, they are probably worth riding.

Personally I would never take a cycling holiday abroad of less than 7 days, especially if it involves flying and stuff.
    left the forum March 2023