Majorca in September

navrig2
navrig2 Posts: 1,833
edited March 2016 in Tour & expedition
We have a group of us heading to Majorca in the 2nd week of September.

How busy can we expect Puerto Pollensa and the surrounding area to be (wrt cyclists)?

Comments

• durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Think its always pretty busy with cyclists, other than in the really hot months (July/August - tho its still popular then too).
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    We always have the "family" holiday 2nd week in September in PP, sadly for me not cycling focused, though I will sneak the odd ride in. Its not a busy time for cycling on the island will be a few around but the temperatures (last few years high 20's edging in to the 30's) limit the numbers.
  • The climate in Mallorca is quite different in the late vs the early season. Earlier in the year it tends to get chillier in the mornings and at night, whereas later on it's much warmer even when the sun is down. Even if you see the same temperatures through the day.

I suspect it's something to do with remaining moisture having gone and the heat sink effect in the land, but especially the sea.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    if you're unlucky you'll be there at the same time as ironman Majorca, based in Alcudia. Makes the roads very busy with people who don't have a clue what they're doing, riding 6 abreast up mountain roads while 20 cars wait behind.

I went in late September 2014. Temperatures were in the mid 20's, but it was breezy and we got a bit of rain. The week before it was 30 and sunny though.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • navrig2
    Thanks for the replies.

We were in Tenerife last September and the weather was hot but we coped well. Unless Majorca is exceptional we should be OK.

Thanks for the heads up on the Ironman. It is on the 24 Sept, however we fly home on 16 Sept so we should be OK even if there are few people coming to acclimatise.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I've been (Can Picafort, just up the road) in either the 1st or 2nd week in September for the past five years and it's nothing like early season with respect to cyclists. In fact a couple of times we were charged less at the bike hire place as it was low season. The weather has always been better than when I've been in March and the sea is beautifully warm in September.
  • whoof wrote:
    I've been (Can Picafort, just up the road) in either the 1st or 2nd week in September for the past five years and it's nothing like early season with respect to cyclists. In fact a couple of times we were charged less at the bike hire place as it was low season. The weather has always been better than when I've been in March and the sea is beautifully warm in September.

I've been around Port de Pollenca and Cala d'Or in early October as you say, very quiet wrt cycling compared with April, still a few around of course but not the pelotons you see early in the year.

I guess because many see it as an early season training thing. Cycling there in October was mega hot, even in the early mornings, but I did enjoy it, only trouble is that it's quite a come down coming back to the UK with the winter ahead of you.
  • Hi

Typically the weather in September ranges between 21 and 28 degrees, so for most people (including myself!) that would be hard going!!

You will still see cyclists but not in the same numbers as Winter/Spring time
    http://www.mallorcacyclinghotels.co.uk
    Cycling friendly accommodation in Mallorca
  • navrig2
    bronco016 wrote:
    Hi

Typically the weather in September ranges between 21 and 28 degrees, so for most people (including myself!) that would be hard going!!

You will still see cyclists but not in the same numbers as Winter/Spring time

Ta.

Those temperatures are not a big issue for us. We managed a similar trip to Tenerife in September without issue.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    September's a great time to go, although I'd choose second half, just so it wouldn't be too hot.

The sea is lovely and warm, the roads are empty, everything becomes cheaper - what's not to like?!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    September's a great time to go, although I'd choose second half, just so it wouldn't be too hot.

The sea is lovely and warm, the roads are empty, everything becomes cheaper - what's not to like?!

Ditto early October, which I went in 2014 and it was lovely. Still a little too hot at times to be fair!

It does have a different feel to the early season, both in terms of the place and the temperatures as the land and sea has warmed up over the long hot summer, so even when the sun is down it's still warm, which isn't the case in April/May.

Plus there were some races / sportives (not sure which it was) happening when I was there too.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Last year went in the first/second week in September and the temperature was between 25 and 33 C which was very nice, looking forward to the same again this year.