Frame for painting

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited February 2016 in MTB general
I have a transition blindside frame that I have painstaknely stripped all the paint off it

I want to paint it now (still deciding on the colour)

There are still a few small hardly noticeable areas of paint on the frame. Will these be ok to paint over?

What is the process for spray painting it?

Rust protection, gradually apply even layers of car paint, and then a clear coat?

Comments

• cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    It all depends how far you want to go with it? You could use a high build primer before your base coats of colour.

I would also look at powder coating. My transition Bottlerocket is currently being done by my local coaters & it's only costing £40 (all of my prep work was also done).

It's much harder wearing than aerosol paint & once you've factored in all of your cans of paint it's probably going to be cheaper.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A professional paint job is much tougher than powder coating. A few spots of paint left on will be fine
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    A professional paint job is much tougher than powder coating. A few spots of paint left on will be fine

Aye a professional paint job would be.

But when someone's asking for advise on what coats to do etc... It's probably not going to be upto scratch of a professional job.

Also the cost difference is huge, when I had my Gios repainted at Brian Rourkes that cost me the best part of £175, well worth it admittedly but for a mtb I think it would be a bit overkill.