Cervélo S3 sizing

smoggysteve
smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Been looking at getting a Cervélo S3 soon but not sure on the sizing. I am 5'6" 30" inside leg and saw a 51 that looked about right but didn't get chance to try it. Has anyone got one in this size or smaller who could give me an idea on which size would suit me best?

Thanks

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Do you have a bike you currently ride on which you are comfortable? Look at the reach and stack numbers for that frame and compare them to the Cervelo: https://www.cervelo.com/en/road/s-serie ... 20geometry
  • smoggysteve
    Reach and stack don't always give the right size to go for. I normally ride a 53 Bianchi Sempre pro or VN7 but I also have a Cube Aerium size 48 TT which feels equally comfortable. I have been fitted on the Sempre so I know its not too big but I can get into a decent position on the supposedly much smaller cube with no issues.

I would think the Cervélo size 51 would therefore be somewhere in the middle but as I know some aero frames can be bigger than the suggested size. I know the Giant Propel is much larger than its frame size would suggest. This is mainly why I was after someone who owns one at this size.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I would have thought the 51 would be perfect, might need a 100 or 110 stem, I've just bought an S3 in 54 frame with a 90 stem I'm 5'9", so 51 sounds right. Great looking, performing bike by the way (or it will be when the weathers dry enough to ride it :wink:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • smoggysteve
    I would have thought the 51 would be perfect, might need a 100 or 110 stem, I've just bought an S3 in 54 frame with a 90 stem I'm 5'9", so 51 sounds right. Great looking, performing bike by the way (or it will be when the weathers dry enough to ride it :wink:

Cheers for the advice. I thought 51 was about right. I can usually tell if a frame is about the right size just by looking at it but I have never had an aero frame and the geometry makes me think twice before hand.
  • Im 5'8 and ride two bikes a medium boardman and 54 trek, I hired a 51 cervelo in Mallorca and found it a touch small for me, sounds like it will be just right for you
  • bianchimoon

Cheers for the advice. I thought 51 was about right. I can usually tell if a frame is about the right size just by looking at it but I have never had an aero frame and the geometry makes me think twice before hand.
    Me neither, to be honest the bike sold itself to me, looks stunning, the bike is set up for reach etc exactly as my Bianchi. Might not be quiet as comfortable over long distances but nothing i've read about it gives me cause for concern. Judging from your name your not from teesside are you?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • smoggysteve

Judging from your name your not from teesside are you?

Yes. But not lived there for a while.
  • bianchimoon

Judging from your name your not from teesside are you?

Yes. But not lived there for a while.

ahh same here re Teesside left many years ago, just on the sizing, had my first ride out yesterday, it seems the 54 sizing is very similar to Bianchi's, I was concerned that it might be slightly longer, but with the 90 stem, felt surprisingly small (not uncomfortably so) other impressions albeit on a windy day, you feel very connected to the bike and to the road, much more responsive in both acceleration and cornering, very pleased so far. Worts bit a small point the shimano hoods are no where near the Campags for comfort/feel.