Drop the post...

kickaxe
kickaxe Posts: 446
edited April 2016 in MTB general
Hey, I'm looking at getting a dropper post. My only concern is if it will fit into my frame. So here's my question:

Does the length measurement (eg. 380mm) mean the unextended or the extended length?
-Cube Acid 29" 2013
-A new Giant Trance 3 2015!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Extended
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    DEAF77B3-2ADA-4425-9AC3-6163E5C57393_zpsooiaqljb.png
  • kickaxe
    Thanks, good to know. Any recommendations below 200£?
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • JGTR
    Rockshox Reverb. It's the one most people have.
  • kickaxe
    Is there a slightly cheaper internal one possibly?
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • JGTR
    Kickaxe wrote:

No
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Kickaxe wrote:

Yes but I wouldn't buy anything cheaper. You can get them from £160

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/adj ... ountry=190
    https://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-r ... 54780.html
  • kickaxe
    Right now I am debating if I should maybe go the external Kindshock route, seems like less hassle in the long run tbh. 3 main questions:

1. With external routing, how does one keep the cable out of the way of slapping and hanging around (I am planning to run it down along the seat tube, past the bb and up into the frame) ? Is there a better way to route it (on a Giant Trance)?

2. What's the difference between the KS Supernatural and Dropzone R? How are KS posts in general?

3. I can get these posts each at around 200eur/230usd/160gbp, and my budget is low. Will I be dissatisfied with these as opposed to a Reverb Stealth?

Thanks in advance!
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    No experience of either of those but I've used both versions of giants contact switch dropper and found it reliable, needed little maintenance and it does the job perfectly.

Which model of trance do you have, I was under the impression the later 26" bikes (with the straight top tube) had guides for external routing on them.
  • kickaxe
    I have a 2015 model, which only has guides in the downtube. Im not sure what the best routing here is, maybe I can find a way to get it along the top tube. Possible I can just wrap the cable around the seat tube (above the top tube) once, that should give enough slack.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • Antm81
    Internal is the way then, it's reasonably easy to do, at worst it quickly need the bottom bracket removing whilst the cable is fed through.
  • kickaxe
    The problem is more the budget, internals cost at least 100more than most externals...
    What might work is tying the cable to the top tube with 2strips of electrical tape...
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Kickaxe wrote:
    Right now I am debating if I should maybe go the external Kindshock route, seems like less hassle in the long run tbh. 3 main questions:

1. With external routing, how does one keep the cable out of the way of slapping and hanging around (I am planning to run it down along the seat tube, past the bb and up into the frame) ? Is there a better way to route it (on a Giant Trance)?
    Feb%202016_zpsdbupb9xc.jpg
    Here, I've run the cable down the top tube, then put a small loop downwards before taking it up to the post. When dropped, the loop gets a little longer, but because it's angled downwards in line with the frame it doesn't get in the way or flap about.

You could also look at one of the options (like the KS Lev) where the cable attaches to the top of the OUTER sleeve, so doesn't move at all when the post is raised/lowered. This is almost as neat and tidy as an internally-routed post, but without all the hassle!
    How are KS posts in general?
    In my experience, very reliable - some of the older models had non-rechargable springs, which meant that if the spring lost pressure, the post was effectively dead, but AFAIK the all the newer models now have a valve so you can top them up if needed.
  • kickaxe
    Some folks on Pinkbike reminded me the giant dropper is both internal/external compatible. While I knew this before, I totally forgot... I think that's what I'll get.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • Antm81
    Kickaxe wrote:
    Some folks on Pinkbike reminded me the giant dropper is both internal/external compatible. While I knew this before, I totally forgot... I think that's what I'll get.

I was about to do the same thing
  • kickaxe
    Antm81 wrote:

I was about to do the same thing

:mrgreen: Now the question is what size:

100m drop-350mm long (gives me more adjustability)

125mm drop-385mm long (gives me more drop, but might have some issues being too long)

My height: 175cm
    Inseam: 83cm

Right now I have a 375mm post of which I have 220mm in the frame.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • Antm81
    Mines 100 mm drop, with it as low as possible in the frame, ive still got about 175mm outside to the seat rails at full extension.