Stem Bolt

thefartingcockeral
thefartingcockeral Posts: 394
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Mt son has lost one of the four bolts for his handlebar stem. Cannot find it. Without having to buy a new stem, does any one know what size they would be (M5, M6 etc) so I can buy a new one if not a set of four?
It is a Cannonade C3 stem if that helps.

Comments

• galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Hi
    I`ve just changed my Cannondale C2 stem bolts to black anodised titanium (because I`m like that alright) .
    Bought M5 20mm but I think the originals measured at 18mm
    Good chance your stem will be the same size as is a common size and not just for`dales.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.
  • Yep, it will be m5 for a stem.
  • Typically same thread size as water bottle cage bolts - also M5. If you are going to use one of these though, just make sure thread length is appropriate (not too long).
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Typically same thread size as water bottle cage bolts - also M5. If you are going to use one of these though, just make sure thread length is appropriate (not too long).

Aren't bottle cage bots often aluminium ?
    Wouldn't use one of them in my stem.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • That's a good point, don't use an alu bottle cage bolt whatever you do - that could well end in hospital. Steel or possibly ti, that's it.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Take one to the local shop that sells nuts and bolts to workshops and they will match it in about 7 seconds - 20 M5 stainless steel round Allen heads should be about £1.20.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.