BB30 Shell Anomaly??

andy9964
andy9964 Posts: 930
edited August 2017 in Workshop
I've recently had a bit of a problem converting my CAADX from BB30 to Shimano. I bought a FSA converter sleeve, and cleared out the bearings and circlips.
Making sure I had the sleeve facing the correct way on the drive side, I started pressing it in.
It was relatively tough going, as expected until about 20mm in, when it became really hard. I carried on until I couldn't turn the press any more, then I noticed the sleeve had actually buckled under the pressure.
Looking in the shell from the NDS, I could see what seemed to be a band, approx 10mm wide, running round the inside, with about half the thickness of the sleeve visible. Obviously, the sleeve had butted up against the band, and wouldn't go any further - pic below
Clearly the sleeve would never go through, I had it removed at work and the guy who did it measured and confirmed this - the bearing face is 0,2mm smaller than the sleeve's corresponding point for an interference fit, this band is a lot thicker than 0.2mm

Has anyone come across this problem before?

IMG_20160204_124322_zpszg3ymg1n.jpg

Comments

• Was that the metal FSA sleeve adapter?

I would suggest you take a look at Rotor's BB30 to 24mm conversion kit. It has a narrow bore, so it may well pass under that lip.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,148
    the spec really only covers shell width and bearing interface, as long as the spindle gets through the middle the rest is variable

http://www.bb30standard.com/wp-content/ ... rd_new.pdf

that narrower bit in the middle implies the bearing faces were machine separately from each end, which is not what the spec recommends, interesting given the number of cannondale owners reporting bb30 issues
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • andy9964
    sungod wrote:
    the spec really only covers shell width and bearing interface, as long as the spindle gets through the middle the rest is variable

http://www.bb30standard.com/wp-content/ ... rd_new.pdf" target="_blank" target="_blank
    mikenetic wrote:
    Was that the metal FSA sleeve adapter?

I would suggest you take a look at Rotor's BB30 to 24mm conversion kit. It has a narrow bore, so it may well pass under that lip.
    Yes, the FSA sleeve, interestingly Cannondale list it (or something very similar) as an approved conversion.
    I've had the sleeve pressed out at work, and also had the band removed. There were a few rough spots caused by the adapter, so they were also tidied up, hopefully nothing more than a rough sanding of the area affected
    A Praxis converter is on order, should have it by Tuesday
  • sebbyp
    sebbyp Posts: 106
    not good eh. clearly machined from both sides but not past halfway.
    can't you just use the rubber spindle adaptors when going to shimano from bb30?
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    Yes I had the same. Bought the FSA adapter and when I looked at it more closely, it was obvious it wouldn't go past the step. I bought the Wheels Manufacturing one instead and it works like a dream.
  • I had problems trying to convert my Specialized Venge from a BB30 set up to Shimano, mainly due to the 'unique' size of the Venge bottom bracket. I tried several FSA adaptors but they were either the wrong diameter or the wrong width. Eventually I contacted Praxxis and they advised me that they produced a specific conversion for the Venge,have now fitted it and I can report it works like a dream.
  • andy9964
    The Praxis should be fitted tomorrow, happy days :)
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Did your frame use circlips to hold the BB30 bearings in place, or was there a step/ridge that they butted up against?
  • andy9964
    There were the usual circlips. The "step" in the centre was nowhere near the bearings.
    On another note, the Praxxis has been faultless so far (touches wood)

Edit: Re uploaded the pic
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Thanks Andy
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    sebbyp wrote:
    not good eh. clearly machined from both sides but not past halfway.
    can't you just use the rubber spindle adaptors when going to shimano from bb30?

Rubber/plastic adapters are rubbish. Why put something between the crank axle and the bearing? It simply doesn't make sense. I tried them with a BB30 in order to run Rotor 3D24 and it was terrible. Paid the money and inserted a Rotor 4624 BB and life has been bliss ever since.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.