CERO AR24, Review

Bobbinogs
Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Just thought I would post a quick review of these wheels as they come up every now and then but they do seem to be a bit of a leftfield choice.

Anyway, the context is that my Zondas are pretty worn…rims definitely measuring below 1mm, difficult to say exactly given that it is awkward to accurately measure across a rim surface, particularly with cheap sprung callipers, but they are tangibly concave. I bought the Zondas to replace my worn out Shimano freehub winter wheels (RS31) which were very uninspiring but cheap to buy and easy to service, so ticking some of the winter wheel criteria. I should really have bought some more winter wheels but went for the Zondas as some early summer wheels (which I also needed) that I would then ride through last winter and into the year. I ride in all weathers and, probably after about 14 months and 6,000 miles, it was time to move on. I always found the Zondas to feel fast, good to climb with and good on the flats but always harsh, although this was tamed to some degree with good tyres run at 70/80 PSI. I currently weigh about 66kg and ride various bikes, although the retro ones are Campag, run with handbuilts and are kept for the summer.

I still need some summer wheels but thought this time around I would actually buy some replacement winter wheels and then some summer ones later in the year. I generally ride undulating routes so wanted something light-ish and ideally serviceable but was prepared to sacrifice this to give cartridge bearings a go for once and open up the options. Budget was no more than £200. Well, I looked around at the usual options, tempted by the Fulcrum 5LG as many other choices around £200 were over 1700g but thought I would go for the Cero AR24 to see what to make of them. The company has a strange business model in that the wheels cost £180 but that always seems to be sweetened with some deal. Previously it was a pair of Conti Grandsport Race tyres (~£70) and now it is a Jersey/Short combo (also worth about £70).

I was perhaps fortunate to be at the cutover in the deals as I managed to get both!! So that is £140 worth of ‘freebies’ for a wheelset costing £180. The wheels arrived promptly, well packaged and span true from the off. The scales of truth confirmed close to the advertised weight of around 1550g. The construction is quite old school in that the 20/24 rims look just like my handbuilts, even made with black DT Swiss Competition spokes which are readily available (although Cyclesport even include 3 spare as yet another freebie!). The old school theme continues because the rims are noticeably narrow. The spec said ~13.5mm internal and was pretty much spot on. Given that even Mavic Open Pros come in 15mm and are criticised for that, the narrowness of the AR24s is a little puzzling. I fitted the free Conti tyres but regretted it. They were a real bugger to get on and then came up looking much narrower than the 25mm stamped on the sidewall. The callipers revealed them to be only just under, which was a surprise, but on the road they felt wooden (although effective) and the low pressures didn’t seem to offer any suppleness/smoothness to the ride. They are probably good winter/training tyres but not for me. The wheels are actually pretty good though and, on a hilly route including some 20% inclines and bumpy roads, showed no flex or harshness and seemed to roll very smoothly at speed. The braking performance (when matched with some Swisstop Proflash) on a technical route was smooth and good, even when damp.

Last night I swapped the tyres out for some Schwalbe Ones (25mm) which was easy to do although these also came out narrower than I am used to... but at least there was no ‘lightbulbing’ effect. The swap did make a big improvement to the ride quality by offering up some suppleness, comfort and smoothness…and some life too which did make the wheels/tyres a much better all-round package. I am not sure race tyres like Ones would be a good winter match for some but the roads I ride are not too bad for punctures.

My conclusion to date? Not a bad wheel choice for those on a budget, particularly if your current set of wheels run on standard rims and 23mm tyres pumped up to 100PSI, etc. The bearings seem good and Cyclesport offer spares and a replacement service. The wheels felt very responsive when climbing and appear to be a good option to consider…but in a funny way, I am waiting for the rims to wear out so I can they these rebuilt with something like Pacenti 23sl’s, although it is sobering to think that just 2 of those rims is about the same cost as the AR24s. However, the very fact that I should be able to get the AR24s rebuilt (20/24 with a readily available spoke type) has to be a good thing for a winter wheel. I don’t think I would buy them again but I reckon that, with all things considered, I should get my money’s worth over the next few years. Now to solve the summer wheel conundrum…

Comments

• dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    I've got the AR30s and other than the narrowness (which causes me no problems) they are cracking wheels.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Nice review.
    The Ar30's are superb, cycling weekly gave them 9/10 and said they wouldn't consider anything else below £500. They are £379.99 but over Xmas and Jan were only £269.99 with the Conti gp4000s and tubes! Unbelievable value!
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Rigga wrote:
    Nice review.
    The Ar30's are superb, cycling weekly gave them 9/10 and said they wouldn't consider anything else below £500. They are £379.99 but over Xmas and Jan were only £269.99 with the Conti gp4000s and tubes! Unbelievable value!

And that is exactly what I got them for although they are the Continental Grand Sport tyres not GP4000s.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    dstev55 wrote:
    Rigga wrote:
    Nice review.

And that is exactly what I got them for although they are the Continental Grand Sport tyres not GP4000s.

Ah yes my mistake, I wish I'd got them at that price but it was Xmas and money was tight, hope they drop them again.