Building 26" wheels - where to start ???

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited February 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
OK,

Still looking for some upgrade to my stock 26" giant wheels on my Anthem X2 2013.

Missed few good deals here and there, so started to think about building them.

I know it will probably be more expensive but great experience...

Therefore, where should I start ???

1. Looking for an improvement to the existing wheels, so lighter, better quality etc. (better looking ??)
2. What rims ??
3. What hubs ??
4. What spokes ??

I am in no rush with this so can buy components gradually when 'a good deal' comes etc.

Been to few rims / hubs websites but there is so many choices/models - i.e. don't know what hubs I should look at - what will fit my bike etc ??

Style of riding: fast (at least it try to be), more aggressive etc. but nothing extreme :)

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Comments

• If you don't know what hubs will fit then I'd say you'll be better off taking an old wheel apart and building it again before you start messing with anything you spend decent money on
  • kinioo
    If you don't know what hubs will fit then I'd say you'll be better off taking an old wheel apart and building it again before you start messing with anything you spend decent money on

Yes, I don't know 'by name/type/kind/model etc.' what hub will fit - that is true.

When shopping for hubs you get drop down list of all kinds of options which mean nothing to me - this is why I did ask what should I look for.

Its not about 'messing' - as I didn't say I can put them together, is about buying correct components.

Thanks anyway for your time.

C.
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    You'd not go far wrong with a combination of a Shimano XT rim and a Stan's Flow EX rims. There are plenty of caluclators which will tell you what spoke length to buy for the combination of hub/rim you have. That combination is pretty easy to build and quite forgiving. Download Roger Musson's wheelbuilding book - http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php" target="_blank. Take yuor time over it - wheelbuilding can't be rushed when you are new to it
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So what are your current wheels, and what do they weigh?

Or how will you know what lighter/better/prettier is?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Check out Roger Musson's wheel building webby thing.
    (wheelpro.co.uk IIRC)

Also Sheldon Brown's website had some good info on wheel building.
  • kinioo
    BigAl wrote:
    Check out Roger Musson's wheel building webby thing.
    (wheelpro.co.uk IIRC)

Also Sheldon Brown's website had some good info on wheel building.

Cheers
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you want decent quality hubs that'll probably be lighter than your current ones, then Novatec are pretty robust and easy to service. Superstar hubs made by Novatec too.
    As suggested, Stans rims are quite light, but not the stiffest.
    Spokes - start with regular double butted - ACI are good value. Forget things like DT Revolutions and alloy spokes - flexy spokes and corroding nipples for the sake of a few grammes.
    Re-rimming your existing wheel would be a good place to start about learning to use a spoke key before trying to lace a wheel from scratch - it's not difficult, but you do need to be methodical.
    Sheldon Brown's guide is good for a beginner.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Novatech are a good option.

My first wheel build was re rimming a pair of wheels, I then built my own using Rogers excellent book, I have some Stans rims (super lightweight Alpines) with an A2Z front hub (bargain find on eBay) and a Novatech rear using DT Swiss bobble butted spokes and Sapim alloy nipples, all told they come in at 1430g (QR both ends) for just £180 (with more than a little luck), used regularly for 18 months and still giving good service.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.