Riding with a missing headset bearing

srendell
srendell Posts: 15
edited February 2016 in Workshop
I've got a Specialized Mindset, which I plan to replace, but in the meantime I thought I'd give the bearings a good clean and regrease to see if it would improve things. Inevitably however, I've lost one ball bearing.

So, can I get away with riding with one bearing missing? There are meant to be 25 per cup and I've got 24 in 1. Do I risk damaging anything by doing this?

Assistance much appreciated! :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It will be OK, miss the one bearing out the top cup though.

Most shops will carry a spare, even halfords......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks!

By spare do you mean individual ball bearings or bearings for the whole headset?

Also realised I've lost one of the o-ring seals now!

BTW the Mindset is a Specialized proprietary headset so I wouldn't be able to get a full replacement from Halfords.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Were doing the headset service on a rollercoaster? Buy a magnetic tray and salvage an old jam jar, for next time. :)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    Were doing the headset service on a rollercoaster? Buy a magnetic tray and salvage an old jam jar, for next time. :)

Magnetic tray is top of my 'tools' list now! It's pretty easy to drop one of 50 tiny bearings when you're wiping them clean individually even when not on a rollercoaster! The fact that I managed to knock the pot I was storing them in didn't help either though...
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    srendell wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Magnetic tray is top of my 'tools' list now! It's pretty easy to drop one of 50 tiny bearings when you're wiping them clean individually even when not on a rollercoaster! The fact that I managed to knock the pot I was storing them in didn't help either though...

Don't wipe them clean individually, just pop in a jar with some white spirit, put lid on and swill about, drain through an old sieve or tea strainer, job done.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Ben6899 wrote:

I acquired a magnetic tray courtesy of the chaps who reconditioned my son's Fiesta engine. Found it in the boot, but reckoned I'd already paid for it so kept it. Very handy thing!