Moving RS010 freehub to R500 wheels?

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited February 2016 in Workshop
My nice new 11 speed Shimano RS010 rear wheel got driven over by a van yesterday and the rim and spokes are completely mangled.

I've got a loft full of older Shimano wheels where the freehubs have died. Can I move the 11 speed freehub from the RS010 to an older R500 10 speed wheel?

I'm guessing the freehub is slightly wider but is that right?

Is the hub itself wider on a 10 speed wheel as well so as well so that the overall hub width will now be too wide?

Apologies for the stupid question but I'm just trying to minimise the cost of this.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My nice new 11 speed Shimano RS010 rear wheel got driven over by a van yesterday and the rim and spokes are completely mangled.

I've got a loft full of older Shimano wheels where the freehubs have died. Can I move the 11 speed freehub from the RS010 to an older R500 10 speed wheel?

Is the hub itself wider on a 10 speed wheel as well so as well so that the overall hub width will now be too wide?

Apologies for the stupid question but I'm just trying to minimise the cost of this.

Shimano will no doubt say it's not compatible, but I'd suggest trying it to see what happens. An extra mm or so may be within the tolerance for your frame. Just be very careful that when in the smallest cog the chain is clearing the dropout / stays, and that when on the largest the mech isn't dangerously close to the spokes.

I have to ask, why isn't the van driver or his insurers paying for a new 11 speed wheel for you???
  • keef66 wrote:

Shimano will no doubt say it's not compatible, but I'd suggest trying it to see what happens. An extra mm or so may be within the tolerance for your frame. Just be very careful that when in the smallest cog the chain is clearing the dropout / stays, and that when on the largest the mech isn't dangerously close to the spokes.

I have to ask, why isn't the van driver or his insurers paying for a new 11 speed wheel for you???

Thanks, I'll give it a go. On the damage, I think it's probably worse than just the wheel as the derailleur hanger was completely sheared and the wheel skewer bent so a fair bit of force went through the frame. Hoping they will chip in for this but we'll see.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    [quote= On the damage, I think it's probably worse than just the wheel as the derailleur hanger was completely sheared and the wheel skewer bent so a fair bit of force went through the frame. Hoping they will chip in for this but we'll see.[/quote]

Sh1t! I'd strip the back end down, give it a good clean and have a very good look at the rear triangle if I were you. Cracked paint often shows where a frame's been bent, but not always. See if a known good wheel sits squarely in the dropouts and is equidistant from the seatstays / chainstays. Bit of string from one rear dropout, round the head tube and back to the other dropout; measure the distance from the seat-tube to each run of string.