Campagnolo Record 10 Speed Ultra Torque Chainset

cmcdonnell
cmcdonnell Posts: 97
edited February 2016 in Workshop
Hi, I bought a Campy Record 10S Chainset to fit to my Litespeed Ghisallo and the Record Ultra Torque BB cups BSA thread. Put the cups in and pushed the RH Crank (chain ring side) and it went all the way in the the inner chain ring was fouling the chain stay. Never seen anything like it. Previously had an FSA K-force SLK compact with no problems. I thought that all ultra torque chain sets were compatible with the appropriate cups. Help!

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Are the chainrings the same size?
    Road cranks all run the same chainline, so it would be unusual for this to be sitting further inboard. Measure your chainline to check. Perhaps some areas worth investigating:
    Right cups for the crank? The ceramic bearing cup might be different from the regular one
    Measure the BB shell width (spec on Campagnolo BB instructions) maybe its undersize? Use spacer under BB cup.
    Is there any axial play (in-out) of the crank? Again, could indicate undersize BB
    Check frame alignment i.e. bent/warped chainstay
    When the UT cranks were introduced, there were some frame incompatability issues
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Just to help you solve the problem...

1. Any UT crank is compatible with any UT cup. On one of my bikes, for example, I run SR cups and Centaur crank (SR are what Wiggle had in stock, no other reason);
    2. Campagnolo specify BB shell width of 67.2mm to 68.8mm for compatibility with their UT system.

A reason - but not the only one - for the new inner chainring touching the stay where it was previously okay, is that it's 39T as opposed to your previous 34T on the FSA Compact.

Good luck getting this sorted and please be sure to update the thread as and when. :)

EDIT: the wavy washer is specifically included in the installation, to allow the 1.6mm BB shell variance, but it will also help position the crank in the correct place laterally. You installed the wavy washer, right?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Not sure if using Power Torque cups instead of UT might cause this? Also, don't Super Record cups lack one of the seals making them inappropriate for non SR chainsets? Pretty sure there was some reason why you shouldn't use them except with SR anyway.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Just another thought, did you put the bearings on the axle?!
  • Dropped off at LBS this morning and am awaiting feedback. On brief inspection they think the frame just can't take a standard crankset as it looks very tight with the compact put back on. I did try to install the ultra torque cranks fully but as I was tightening the bolt the RH crank was on the chain stay so I stopped. Wavy washer fitted on LH as per instructions. Either there's s fundamental compatibility issue between the 2006 Ghisallo and Ultra Torque or my frames damaged or misaligned. I have emailed Litespeed for feedback too
  • LBS says it does not fit and they have never seen anything like it. Put a new MegaEXO BB back in and got some 52/36 chainrings and it's working but am gutted that Ultra Torque (53/39) is a no go as I'd been considering upgrading to full Chorus 11 on this bike. Tried to take some pics before with the MegaEXO and after but can't see how to post them