Convertability of a 2002-ish 2Danger Roadbike to CC ? help :( yea I'm new... \o/

Iksobarg
Iksobarg Posts: 14
edited February 2016 in Cyclocross
I'm looking to see how wide the tires can be for a
2Danger (Rebranded Derby/Storck maybe) (2002) Roadbike (I used to know the model name...)
Pretty sure it came from Taiwan

some of the specs
Stylus Racing 622x13 rims + 622x23c Clincher Tires

Sora 3x8 Drivetrain
Front 52 x ? x ?
Unsure of rear sprocket specs

Sora Brakes

I was wondering if I should even bother trying to convert this bike to Cyclocross.

Links to the bike on Imgur
vMLQmFD.jpg

6s0wJJZ.jpg

Z7Th30z.jpg

p4Rhwv8.jpg

Z776Gqf.jpg

QUdCxZi.jpg

I was wondering how wide of a tire I can throw on this rim and within the Sora brakes...
pfff... the alternative is an expensive one.

Ideas and help are welcome!
Thanks!!
John

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    You'll almost certainly get no more than a 28mm tyre on there max, if you're lucky. There won't be any mud clearance around the frame or the brakes. The gearing will prob be OK as its a triple but the bike isn't suitable in my opinion.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • You'll almost certainly get no more than a 28mm tyre on there max, if you're lucky. There won't be any mud clearance around the frame or the brakes. The gearing will prob be OK as its a triple but the bike isn't suitable in my opinion.
    After some research and looking at the bike I suspected this. You're golden bud. Thanks!

So a 28mm tire... on rough trail like terrain... it's tempting so I might see if I can land some second hand ones.
    Then again we get a lot of moisture here in central Germany and don't want to think of how those would handle in the mud.
    And as I don't road much hence the desire to convert it. I'll prolly just sell the ol boy then.

As this bike would be for purely recreational use and me being in Europe could anyone recommend a few suitable frame, model, anything that would make a great converter bike? I'd like to get a start on the second hand market.
    Also, I'm looking to make this a little easy on the wallet.

It's definitely gotta have the combined brake/shifters. What are those called?

Oh, and don't think I'm sitting idle waiting for info. I'm researching the forums but anything helpful is super appreciated!

Again Many, many thanks! You're all great!
    John
  • Maybe a Ridley X-bow? I used to ride one of those as a converted Road bike.
    But if you're trying to convert something to Cross, maybe some of the hybrids with 700c rims will be a good start
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    You're better of just looking for a second hand cx bike or saving up for one rather than buying a hybrid/commuter and trying to convert it.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500