Hayes Stroker Ryde and Shimano Deore M505

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,870
edited February 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I replaced my Hayes single sided discs on my Marin last autumn, but haven't actually ridden them yet - they were a £37 bargain from CRC.

I've been waiting for another bargain pair, as have wanted to convert the child carrying Kona from mechanical discs to hydraulic ones, and have just placed an order for a pair of Shimano Deore M505 from Merlin for circa £39 for a pair.

As my MTB will be getting the more extreme action out of the two, could anyone advise me which one of the two is superior in terms of performance and or reliability?

The Kona won't be exposed to mud and dirt really, so will have an easier life, so it's just whether I move the Hayes across to the Kona and put the 505's on the Marin, or simply fit the 505's to the Kona.

Thankyou in advance!
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• daniel_b
    Nobody?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd use the Shimano for your main bike and the Hayes for the kiddy carrier.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks for taking the time TR, much appreciated.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • @Daniel B: Did those ~£40 Deore M505 brakes from Merlin arrive with ready bled cables?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    @Daniel B: Did those ~£40 Deore M505 brakes from Merlin arrive with ready bled cables?

Hi NO,

won't get my hands on them until Thursday as they have been sent to my work - do I take it from that, that yours have arrived and are not ready to fit...?
    :?

Re-reading the description there is no suggestion that that would not be the case - a friend bought a pair last year from Merlin (Slightly different model) and they were ready to go, and the same with my Hayes brakes from CRC.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    @Daniel B: Did those ~£40 Deore M505 brakes from Merlin arrive with ready bled cables?

Hi NO,

won't get my hands on them until Thursday as they have been sent to my work - do I take it from that, that yours have arrived and are not ready to fit...?
    :?

Re-reading the description there is no suggestion that that would not be the case - a friend bought a pair last year from Merlin (Slightly different model) and they were ready to go, and the same with my Hayes brakes from CRC.

I've not ordered a set, but I was doing some window shopping at Merlin to see what I could replace the M355s with on my new Wazoo, as I'm very tempted to upgrade the shifters/chain/cassette/rear derailleur to at least Deore 10-speed in the Merlin sales. Not that I'm finding the M355s bad so far, while I definitely would appreciate some better fine tuning on gear ratios and their shifting smoothness!

I just remembered seeing your recent bargain post and thought I'd ask how they arrived, as the spec does not mention ready bled cables. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They come ready to fit, but hoses might be too long - if so and you do it carefully you can often get away with it, but drip some fluid out and they'll need a bleed. Always worth having a bleed kit lying around, especially if you like playing with your new toys.

Epic are cheap and failsafe.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    rear hoses often 1.7m - and attached to the RH brake lever too, so need a bit of swapping and chopping.

M505 good for the money, Clarks M2 is very good as well for similar price.
  • daniel_b
    supersonic wrote:
    rear hoses often 1.7m - and attached to the RH brake lever too, so need a bit of swapping and chopping.

M505 good for the money, Clarks M2 is very good as well for similar price.

Luckily I have started converting my bike to run with a Euro setup anyway 8)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18