Anyone hired a motorbike in the US?

brit66
brit66 Posts: 350
edited March 2016 in The cake stop
I'm planning to visit California for two weeks later this year and rather than drive, I thought a m/bike would be a more fun way of seeing places like Yosemite, Sequoia and the Pacific Coast Highway.

Though about hiring a Triumph Bonneville or a maybe BMW RG650, not sure I want the Harley experience even though I suppose I should, being in the US.

Eagle Riders seems to keep coming up in searches, so has anyone used them, or other similar? Any other advice or tips is welcome too?

Thanks!

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    Pray it doesn't rain a lot.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I've hired a Harley out for five separate day trips when on holiday in the States. Once in Palm Springs, twice in Las Vegas, once in San Francisco and once in Florida. I think we used Eagle Riders in Vegas once and I wasn't particularly impressed with their service. We got there bright and early to get the maximum time out of the bikes but they kept us waiting a long time (2+ hours) while they sorted out more important customers who were hiring bikes for a week or more.

I've had much better service from smaller, independant rental outfits who seem to be actual bikers and are keen for you to have a good time. Their fleets may not be anywhere near as extensive so your choices may be more limited of course. I think one of the advantages with an outfit like Eagle Riders is you may be able to hire from one location, say SF and drop of at another like LV but you also might have to pay extra for this.

One piece of advice I would offer if you are going for two weeks is get a bike with as large a petrol tank as possible. The distances between gas stations in the States can be long, especially in places like Yosamite. If you do decide on a Harley don't even think about a Sportster or V-Rod.
  • Do they make those in left hand drive.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    I've hired from eagle rider in SF twice - would do it again.
    I'd go for a Harley big twin, I've ridden 5 different ones including heritage soft tails, electra glides etc. and would probably get a fatboy again. They don't really 'work' very well here - I've owned Ducati monster, z1000 etc - but in the US they're just great.
  • No bike, but done where ur going

U will have fantastic time. What u doing for accommodation?

Where u starting from? 2 weeks at not be enough if you travel too far we found.