What has changed in Pro Cycling

Comments

• Macaloon wrote:
    Quick clarification for any law enforcement/intelligence agencies monitoring the open web. I have no beef with the girls and boys KPMG etc. in their corporate habitat. I only get the balaclava on when they masquerade as a high priests of games, despoiling the sacred temples of my sport.

I got very messy with some balaclava once. Too sweet for my tooth

Hat
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    sherer wrote:
    DSs controlling the tactics / calling the shots. Seems too much is done from the team car rather than the rider deciding to attack

I think this is a bit of a myth. DS follows the action on a small screen while driving, they don't have the opportunity to make any of the split second decisions that matter at the sharp end of a bike race
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Stick thin riders...
    Half man, Half bike
  • ShutupJens wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    DSs controlling the tactics / calling the shots. Seems too much is done from the team car rather than the rider deciding to attack

I think this is a bit of a myth. DS follows the action on a small screen while driving, they don't have the opportunity to make any of the split second decisions that matter at the sharp end of a bike race

Think a good example of how its still the riders making decisions is shown in Chasing Legends. The echelon stage of 2009 TDF, HTC morning meeting they go over course and highlight a section that it could lead to splits with wind, then during the race you hear Michael Rodgers yelling for everyone to hit the front as the wind is up and they're about to take a corner and hit the side winds. Then the DS gest on radio and basically say do as Michael says. Road captain made decision DS made sure everyone heard.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    Interviews being increasingly scrutinised and leading to media storms, resulting in much more guarded responses.
  • DSs are always fully clothed and never drink beer in the car anymore.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Real Sun tans by February.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Macaloon wrote:
    Quick clarification for any law enforcement/intelligence agencies monitoring the open web. I have no beef with the girls and boys KPMG etc. in their corporate habitat. I only get the balaclava on when they masquerade as a high priests of games, despoiling the sacred temples of my sport.

giphy.gif

20pq2i1.png
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 214
    Don't see any monster solo victories in the mountains anymore
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    EPC06 wrote:
    Don't see any monster solo victories in the mountains anymore

Good..
  • the peloton is now i imagine largely english speaking, i'm not saying the majority is english speaking but it is probably the language say a french, italian and a german would talk to each other in?
  • The language at Etixx is English, despite there being only one native speaker - if a Brummy counts.
  • neonriver wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:
    sherer wrote:

Think a good example of how its still the riders making decisions is shown in Chasing Legends. The echelon stage of 2009 TDF, HTC morning meeting they go over course and highlight a section that it could lead to splits with wind, then during the race you hear Michael Rodgers yelling for everyone to hit the front as the wind is up and they're about to take a corner and hit the side winds. Then the DS gest on radio and basically say do as Michael says. Road captain made decision DS made sure everyone heard.

I think it's a bit more subtle than this - split second calls are made on the road, but radios ensure that the riders don't have to remember so much about what's coming up - reducing the chances of someone getting the opportunity to take advantage. Some tactical calls are definitely made with knowledge the riders couldn't have - sprinters having coaches ride or drive the last 5km whilst the race is on, for example.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Getting back to going off topic, I imagine Maccas victims, aside from being "managed" in an ironic manner, will be found with a business card and itemised bill on them. Detectives tracking "The Manager" will be saying "Leadership course in employee empowerment through violent death of consultant, practical, two and a half grand!? Before VAT?! We're in the wrong business."
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    Going back quite a bit further than the GCN timeframe to the Anquetil and Merckx days, I'd say "gearing". The lowest gears available at that time are much higher than those in use in recent years. I don't think STI or even the increase in number of gears from 10 to 22 is as significant as having a "50" or thereabouts as your bottom gear.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    This thing about the sprint trains, can anyone find me a video of e.g. Cipo with a full sprint train, or a battle between two sprint trains from that era?

Yes, there have always been leadouts, but a full on train like HTC? That's not quite how I remember it (though I have a gap in my watching history from 98-2010)...

The big change since HTC is that there are now not one or two trains, but four or five, battling from a few kms out for position. Alongside all the GC riders trying to keep out of trouble near the front.

Was interesting to hear it confirmed that training had advanced a lot, specifically with teams running it rather than individual riders having to take responsibility for arranging a trainer, that average speeds have increased (full gas pretty much all day) and that the general level of the peloton was both far higher and more even now. Lots of different reasons for all of that, but mostly down to higher professionalism, wider rider pool and modernised training.
  • rick_chasey
    cq20 wrote:
    Going back quite a bit further than the GCN timeframe to the Anquetil and Merckx days, I'd say "gearing". The lowest gears available at that time are much higher than those in use in recent years. I don't think STI or even the increase in number of gears from 10 to 22 is as significant as having a "50" or thereabouts as your bottom gear.

Ja good shout.

Generally there's a higher average cadence in the peloton.

Frames are generally smaller too.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Definitely. When you watch footage of the old days, guys like Merckx would really grind huge gears
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    They don't hand out newspapers at the top of climbs anymore.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • They don't hand out newspapers at the top of climbs anymore.

*cue Panto crowd* 'Oh yes they do!'
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552

She's right you know. I've seen Pinot reading one on the descent.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    I thought they handed out the digital editions nowadays.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Joelsim wrote:

She's right you know. I've seen Pinot reading one on the descent.

Makes sense. As any sane person who's accidentally started reading either the Metro or Evening Standard in London can attest, they can make you suddenly throw yourself to the ground in despair.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    edited February 2016

They do?
    Never seem to see it on TV any more. Always seemed to be one of the Paul and Phil set pieces of the summer....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Wet Paris Roubaix are no more :(.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    cq20 wrote:

Ja good shout.

Yeah this. Talking about this last night in the pub with rest of the old boys in my club. You don't see pros walking too often these days, or riding gate like frames. When everyone was on 52/42 and a straight through 13 up 5 or 6 speed block, you'd always see someone walking on the Flanders climbs or the Welsh stages of the Milk Race.
  • rick_chasey
    mm1 wrote:
    cq20 wrote:

Ja good shout.

Yeah this. Talking about this last night in the pub with rest of the old boys in my club. You don't see pros walking too often these days, or riding gate like frames. When everyone was on 52/42 and a straight through 13 up 5 or 6 speed block, you'd always see someone walking on the Flanders climbs or the Welsh stages of the Milk Race.

Handlebars are also a fair bit narrower than they were even 5 years ago.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Wet Paris Roubaix are no more :(.
    I wouldn't be so sure. I've played 17 games of hockey this season. It's rained for 14 of them.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    On frames.

Vansummeren & Sean Yates - same height.

Sean-Yates-Descending-1992-Tour2.jpg

vansummeren_johan_00.jpg

Merckx-Yates-Bike89@PhSpt.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    Some things don't change...

CaimlJPWIAAK7Pv.jpg:large