Buying my first trainer

IL novello
IL novello Posts: 4
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
So I'm planning on buying my first trainer and I'm really into this virtual reality thing, so I'm looking for advice on what is needed to get a setup that can handel this.

So to start of let me tell you what I got today and what I've looked on buying.
My bike is the Felt Z95 with an Polar CS500,
the trainer I've looked at is the CycleOps Fluid 2 and getting an ANT+ to go with that.

Now to my questions
Will this setup work with Zwift (vr program)
Is this the best solution with having in mind that my budget is around 300$ and I live in a flat so can't be to noisey

Many thanks
/the new guy

Comments

• Check out your compatibility here

http://zwift.com/getting-started/
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,399
    Do you want a dumb trainer or a smart trainer?
    The Fluid2 is a dumb trainer so you won't feel the rises and falls in the Zwift roads, and will have to use ZPower which is pretty inaccurate, but could get you loads of KOMs rising at 10 w/kg!
    Is the Tacx Vortex Smart close to your budget which is popular with Zwifters?
  • Dorset Boy wrote:
    Do you want a dumb trainer or a smart trainer?
    The Fluid2 is a dumb trainer so you won't feel the rises and falls in the Zwift roads, and will have to use ZPower which is pretty inaccurate, but could get you loads of KOMs rising at 10 w/kg!
    Is the Tacx Vortex Smart close to your budget which is popular with Zwifters?

Yeah the Tacx Vortex looks very promising!
    And it's in my range, maby should buy a turbo trainer wheel as well.

Is there any disadvantages to the Tacx compared to the fluid2?

Really appreciate your help, thanks!
  • If you want to use it with Zwift then don't get a dumb trainer! The only real reason to find yourself using one with Zwift is that you've already got the trainer and want to then use Zwift. If you're buying one new you'd have to be completely stark raving bonkers not to get a smart trainer - of which the Tacx Vortex Smart is a good example.

A turbo wheel is a good idea but not immediately essential.
  • Got my Vortex yesterday - set it up in the evening - very excited.
    Laptop isn't powerful enough to run the graphics

FAIL
  • deejaysee wrote:
    Got my Vortex yesterday - set it up in the evening - very excited.
    Laptop isn't powerful enough to run the graphics

FAIL

Haha sorry that has to be painful, upgrading your laptop soon? Or just buy a used cheap pc and have it with your TV